Airstream 16ft Basecamp

They look cool, I checked them out. They also look uncomfortable, the mattresses are only 2"

buckland said:
I have a neighbor who has been following them and going to purchase one.
They are nice and not very cluttered inside.
Still don't like to tow anything.
I'll stick with my Bobcat.
Frank

When the second edition of the basecamp showed up the Lady loved the photos and videos. We traveled down to the Bay Area to see it in person. We did not like it, especially for the asking price. The Bambi - for a bit more money - was a much much nicer trailer.

If someday we add a small trailer to our adventure gear, it will most likely be a Casita from our research thus far. Half the price makes it even more attractive.

ski3pin said:
When the second edition showed up the Lady loved the photos and videos. We traveled down to the Bay Ara to see it in person. We did not like it, especially for the asking price. The Bambi - for a bit more money - was a much much nicer trailer.

If someday we add a small trailer to our adventure gear, it will most likely be a Casita from our research thus far. Half the price makes in even more attractive.
My thoughts also on the Basecamp,very expensive. The Casita is IMO a better value and even lighter to tow.
BUT I'll still stick to the ATC.
Frank

That is funny... a long time ago my wife and I were doing the Skyline drive then the Parkway by motorcycle...we ended up going to Charleston and coming home via the outer banks (it is a shame they let so much development there...Cape Cape was saved by the National Seashore 50 years ago...but I digress...as usual) ... we passed a trailer in tow (had a bumper sticker ...I go where I'm towed to) .. .. we folded and had a nice chat with the couple who was renting it and loved it and it was a Casita... I thought it looked light. At that time it was just a fanciful thought.... I am happy as can be with the Eagle...
I just like the look of them instead of the 'road barns' ....streamlined like a Buck Rogers Art Deco Rockets.

Reminds me of the movie "Raising Arizona" ... watching the sun set

buckland said:
--snip--
we ended up going to Charleston and coming home via the outer banks (it is a shame they let so much development there...Cape Cape was saved by the National Seashore 50 years ago...but I digress...as usual) ...
--snip--
Back in 1970-71, I was part of a team that tried to get the National Seashore extended north through Corolla. At that time, only the Copper roofed duck hunting lodge, a PO and a few other things were there. Took many photos of landscape, birds, plus aerial photos. We created a booklet and made presentation to Mo Udall & others. However, we failed to convince Washington of the value of expanding the National Seashore.
Actually, I always suspected that we just raised awareness of the area as a gem for vacation home development for the elites in DC as that is apparently what happened. I looked at satellite photos of the area a couple of years ago & was blown away by the scope of development.

Paul

Since I'm going to throw away the basecamp brochure, I will post photos in multiple posts:
New Doc 2017-05-07_1.jpg
New Doc 2017-05-07_2.jpg

looks good but as was said... where we like to go to 'get away from it all' ... trailers don't go there. The Eagle will do until I can't get up into the bed.

And PaulT... that just makes me sad. I know it is not right to wish for natural disaster as folks could be hurt ... but in a dream world I'd like to have it all washed away and let nature start again,

Here's a guy that built his own basecamp inspired trailer

Very ingenious and the workmanship is above most company built products.
He is from the Netherlands. Have seen other camping products from there and all seem to have the same very high quality.
Thanks for posting.
Frank

On impulse, and notably without checking in with the Missus, I bought an old Palomino popup in 2012. Terry didn't care for it, and it never got mounted on the truck, let alone was it ever used for a camping trip. Fast-forward a couple of years and I "discovered" the world of lightweight hardside A-Frame popups. In May 2014 we bought one new at the RV dealership and have really enjoyed it. Ours is on a torsion axle with 15" AT light truck tires and has 16-18" clearance all around, hence it was marketed as an "off road" trailer. That's a bit iffy, where it's sure as heck not going to be towed around tight switchbacks or over highly rutted or highly uneven trails due to the extra length the 5' "toy hauler" platform forward of the box adds.

But, case in point, we like it because it fits our style: We like a base camp and the ability to get out and about in the truck after setting up base camp for a couple or three nights or more. We even snagged a personalized NC license plate incorporating the term "base camp".

And, yes, sigh, the Outer Banks north of the Southern Shores town limits is appalling. No Myrtle Beach or Virginia Beach style highrises, but McMansion after McMansion vacation rental homes and hordes upon hordes of weekly renters. We call it "Jersey Shore South". I won't go there in July or August any more.

Foy

Well my neighbor plunked down his money on the Base Camp.
It's going to be interesting to see how he likes it and also how he snakes it down his driveway.
He may get in about a month.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom