Alaska Highway

robbie

I just finished a 2700 miles round trip from Watson Lake Yukon to southern alberta to do some goose hunting.
The Alaska highway was in real good shape.
We had an ugly morning over steamboat with lots of very wet snow but will bring good now
Drove up to Whitehorse last night and will head home tomorrow.
Enjoy the drive
Robbie Watson lake yukon

Good to hear you are out on the land Robbie. Again thanks for all your help on the AK and Yukon trip... I leave in 6 weeks...June 16..
I believe I am almost ready... goes without saying I am just a little bit psyched to get up to your world. Hope you got your goose or geese.

Thanks everyone. Yes got 120 snow geese. not as good as last year but still ok. Susan and I drove to Whitehorse Friday night and back today.

Road is real good. I am going up the Robert Campbell highway on Tuesday to Ross River and Faro. I will try my favorite grayling creek.

I will try to remember to post the kilometers from Ross River and Watson Lake. The creek is right on the highway. Just south of the road into Finlayson Creek. A Very large culvert under the road and fish right at the culvert.
Always great fishing there..

There are some other good places I will try to post the distances..

As for staying in the government campgrounds. The sites you get is the one you pick. Unless someone already there.
Firewood is free for the taking. You should have as fairly good axe to cut the wood into small pieces. there are fire pits and tables at each site.
You are ok to camp anywhere you want. If you want a short trip up the nahanni range road drive about 6 miles up to the frances river. good camping right by the river at the bottom side of the bridge. I have only fished on the far side of the bridge. did pretty good there for grayling. Throw some small bacon into the river and put a piece on a fly and should catch some bull trout. Also jsut as you get to the Tuchitua river there is a road off to the left just at the river. Goes into a gravel pit. you can fish either side of the river, in the pools. try the bacon trick there too. Or any meat should work..
Enjoy the trips.
Robbie

I just did a trip up the Robert Campbell Highway and back. Road is in real good shape. I have been e mailing one member of this site with pictures and info about the Robert Campbell and Nahanni Range road. Hope the info helps. Look forward to seeing any of you in the Yukon. Hope we can visit.
As for the 120 snow geese. Going into jerky and sausage. We got 500 last year. Still eating sausage from then.
I am pretty sure Susan said we don't need anymore meat or fish for a while. It is bear season. I did not hear really what she said.

Robbie
Watson Lake..

Thanks Robbie... I received all the links to the photo bucket and was able to see your hunting shots. Have to say ...you won't go hungry! That is really BIG country. I sent you an email with the approximate date for being in the area...

Back
Top Bottom