Alaska travel

buckland

Site Team
We are heading back to AK in a couple weeks. A lucky trip of only 2 weeks. My nephew has a camper for us to use out of Seward. It is so strange to think we will get there in only 12 hours from the east coast as we had driven there and back in 2017. But any AK, no matter how short is good AK. Just happened on this and thought to share.
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/viewing/pdfs/western_seasonal_calendar.pdf

FIVE! I have a lot of catching up to do! ... this is a short trip only by luck of family being there. My hope is to do the trip again in the camper before i no longer can. The Baja trip taught me my present limitations. AK was a lot easier and I hope i could handle another before I hit 75. (69 soon). The aging "curve" in not linear... exponential is more like it. Make hay while the sun shines... do not hesitate.

buckland said:
FIVE! I have a lot of catching up to do! ... this is a short trip only by luck of family being there. My hope is to do the trip again in the camper before i no longer can. The Baja trip taught me my present limitations. AK was a lot easier and I hope i could handle another before I hit 75. (69 soon). The aging "curve" in not linear... exponential is more like it. Make hay while the sun shines... do not hesitate.
We made trips in 1990 1992,with our daughters tenting/ferry. 2009 just us tenting,2011 2016 with the Bobcat.
All memorable trips.Lots of ferry time.

Post photos so I can be envious. Also have a goodie at the "church"and 3 sisters in Homer if you get there.
Frank

Thanks all! I am excited to be lucky enough to get back... we are really keeping the costs down with air miles paying for flight. We stay with my nephew for a few days, then in his camper for a week. Our splurges are on arrival taking the 5 hour train from Anchorage to Seward. The other major expense will be a flight ... hoping to see some bears at Clark Lake and really hoping to get a chance to drop down on lake to see Proenneke’s cabin. As a woodworker and someone who was blown away by his filming the building of his cabin and 35 year life there, it is a bucket list thing if possible.

Thanks for the link to the great calendar planner! I have been mulling the timing of Baja and Alaska trips and when to go where, so this will add some fuel to that internal debate. Have a great trip. I've been 3 times to the panhandle, but want to make a drive there soon.

Rob

My neighbor just got back from there and somewhere along the way picked up the latest version of Covid. She had the last booster in April. I guess she showed the first signs of it on the plane home. She is real sick and about my age, at home now. Don't know if this is of any use/help to you, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. She took a plane from Reno to Seattle, then cruz ship to Ak and back again: Not much help there, some info is better than no info. Hope this doesn't spoil your trip!

Smoke

The cruise ship might be the culprit. They are notorious for spreading sickness.
We went in to get our next shot and was told to wait until the latest version comes
out in October.We're good to go for now.
Stay safe out there.
Frank

Much obliged Smoke... I appreciate heads up with travel bugs....I sure wish I could get the new and improved booster that is supposed to target this strain but alas we go before it is released (tho I am checking up on its release daiy). My nephew from CA just got back from Spain and he the there 'VID" in his luggage! Was down about a week. My wife and I will mask on the plane and in airports, public transportation and stores. It does not bother me one bit to mask... I think people are childish about it. I lived in Asia for a few years 40 years ago and folks just masked to be polite if they had a cold. That's how I see it ...just a community thing. So thanks for thinking of me and I hope to do this trip w/o "kooties".

Thanks Frank. I am fastidious about the basics and then... mask down ..swig a beer... mask up!

Rather than Yet Another Covid Booster with questionable efficacy, you could ask your physician for sufficient prescriptions of Paxlovid for your travel party & enough Covid test kits. Paxlovid needs to be started shortly after onset of symptoms so several test kits would be useful to determine when you become positive.

jes sayin' YMMV

Because I am no medical practitioner, ask your doctor before doing anything I say.

Paul

Thanks for your thoughts Paul. We do travel with 4 test kits. I believe I could get the paxxlovid at a clinic if positive

buckland said:
We are heading back to AK in a couple weeks. A lucky trip of only 2 weeks. My nephew has a camper for us to use out of Seward. It is so strange to think we will get there in only 12 hours from the east coast as we had driven there and back in 2017. But any AK, no matter how short is good AK. Just happened on this and thought to share.
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/viewing/pdfs/western_seasonal_calendar.pdf
Thank you for sharing, and I hope you have a wonderful trip back to Alaska! Best of luck on your trip, and safe travels!

Back
Top Bottom