Alaska Trip

LOG

Howdy folks,

Well it was an epic trip to AK (big surprise). Being in the digital age that we are, Mrs LOG and I took hundreds of pics. Attached are just a few. The first 2 are of the Copper mining town of Kennecot within Wrangell St Elias NP. 3rd is of the drive in to Kennecot on an old RR grade that is now a 45-50 mile gravel road. We camped on the Kennecot River with a nice view of the glaciers and Bonanza Ridge. Saw a few bears but they paid us no mind.

Attachments

• IMGP0597.JPG
    IMGP0597.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 415
  • IMGP0601.JPG
    IMGP0601.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 419
  • Wrangell-StEliasPark (11).JPG
    Wrangell-StEliasPark (11).JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 418
  • Wrangell-StEliasPark (34).JPG
    Wrangell-StEliasPark (34).JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 421
Alaska Continued

But we were up here to fish. The first is of Quartz Cr which is tributary to Kenai Lake. The locals said that the fishing was slow but being from CA we didn't know the difference. The creek was loaded with Dolly Varden. Next is Mrs. LOG with a Silver. Nothing like landing silvers on a flyrod. The fourth pic is Kluane lake in the Yukon Territory.

Anyhow... lots more to post.

The camper did well....Got lots of comments. Its rained almost everyday. So justification for the purchase was made easy.

Had problems running the fridge on the propane. The pilot would go out with in 10 minutes of lighting. Often I would not get it to re-light. Any ideas on whats wrong? Otherwise all was well.

Attachments

• Quartz Cr (4).JPG
    Quartz Cr (4).JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 408
  • Silver_fishing (19).JPG
    Silver_fishing (19).JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 411
  • Silver_fishing (20).JPG
    Silver_fishing (20).JPG
    29 KB · Views: 425
  • KluaneLake_YT (3).JPG
    KluaneLake_YT (3).JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 418
Thanks For Pics

Thanks for posting AK pictures..Tell us more about the trip..inquiring minds want to know..

A trip to AK is exactly the reason I bought my FWC. I retire in 18 months and the first trip is to AK. Plan on staying 3 months and fishing as much of the state as I can in that short time. More pics please..

Thanks

I Wish I Had Time To Take A Trip Like That

Very Cool, I Have Visited Alaska Many Times, Always For Work.

Well there's my dream trip right there! Are the Kennecott buildings fenced off or can you get pretty close?

log.

Great write up and pics! I long for the day when I have enough time to make such a trip. Thanks for posting.

tread lightly.

marc

Well there's my dream trip right there! Are the Kennecott buildings fenced off or can you get pretty close?

You can walk right up to the buildings...some you can walk in...some are being lived in. The public can't drive to Kennicot. The way the park set it up is that you park near the old town of McCarthy, pay $ 5.00 + or -, walk accross a foot bridge and then catch a shuttle van to McCarthy, then pay more money if you want to take the shuttle the extra 5 miles to Kennicott. Or just walk the old RR grade. You can take a bike as well. Both Kennicott and Mcarthy have places to eat and a hotel but more importantly McCarthy has a bar. One can also book flights to go "fight seeing" or to get dropped off in the back-country to go back-packing.

We were into Chitna on one trip but for some reason did not go to Kennicot or McCarthy. Probably had something to do with I was going fishing in Valdez for a week. Sue and I have been to Alaska at least 25 times for holidays. Some only for a few days others for 2+ weeks. Anchorage was only 12 hours from our home in Canada and now 17 hrs. Always a great trip if even for a few days. Go if you can..

robbie

We were into Chitna on one trip but for some reason did not go to Kennicot or McCarthy. Probably had something to do with I was going fishing in Valdez for a week. Sue and I have been to Alaska at least 25 times for holidays. Some only for a few days others for 2+ weeks. Anchorage was only 12 hours from our home in Canada and now 17 hrs. Always a great trip if even for a few days. Go if you can..

robbie

So did we pass each other up in Smithers?

Back
Top Bottom