Alaska

wi_hawk

Advanced Member
Question to all that have been to Alaska.

Is their a point to say that it is too expensive to drive to Alaska or is this a dumb question?

I'm not talking the direct route but routes that will be covering the northern US, British Columbia, Alberta, YT and NT. Leaving out of Wisconsin and looking at >16k miles round trip with no return date set.

Thanks,
Tom

1000 gallons, so if the price is up $1 plan on an extra 1000 bucks. I wouldn't have wanted $1000 to stop from ever driving up there but it is getting pricey. Camping I'll spend a lot less than most anyway, a room at the super crappy motel on the Dalton by the Yukon was $180 a night a couple years ago, I spent $0. Fuel is pricier in Canada and Alaska than the lower 48. Right now the lowest in Fairbanks is $4.09, Alaska average $4.21, here $3.57 is lowest. Average $1.35 per Ltr in BC, 3.78 x 1.35 = $5.10 per gallon, or about $.32 per mile if you get 16 mpg :(

Given that sounds very sucky :eek: I never even think about the cost of gas from my trip up there, just lots of nice memories. I try not to look at the pump when out where there are no options, just pump and deal with the credit card later.

Here is a nice little table
AreaAverage PriceTrend
Alberta121.835
Manitoba125.076
Saskatchewan130.659
New Brunswick131.539
British Columbia135.379
Ontario137.452
Nova Scotia137.775
Newfoundland140.100
Quebec141.429

I'm thinking Labrador then Newfoundland (I'll hit Wisconsin on the way!). Closer than Alaska and very interesting. I did that last year and am thinking this time to go via the Trans Labrador highway. I figure close to $2500 in fuel :mad:

I made the trip to Alaska (by motorcycle) twice when I lived in Wisconsin. Once in 1980 and again in 1989. I was unemployed both times.

I remember great scenery. I remember a lot of rain the first trip. I remember riding through an area on the Cassiar Highway where there had been an avalanche the winter before. They just bulldozed a new road over the rubble. The amount of dirt, rock, and trees that moved was impressive.

The second trip I rode up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik. Beautiful scenery. Impressive mosquitoes. The Top of the World Highway is highly recommended.

However, I've long since forgotten how much I paid for gas, tires, and all the other things.

Go for it!

"no return date" The questioned you should of ask is "when is a good time to go".
A trip like that you can not put a price on it. You only go around once. Have a great time............

I'm leaving in two weeks (5-15). Will be doing the Campbell, the Dempster, then Alaska, and the Cassair on the way back. Whatever fuel prices are, they are. I'm not happy about them, but have been planning this trip too long to
back out now. I also have no scheduled return date. I guess when I get sick of driving, or run out of money I'll come home.
Just go, and don't worry about fuel prices...

I'm leaving in two weeks (5-15). Will be doing the Campbell, the Dempster, then Alaska, and the Cassair on the way back. Whatever fuel prices are, they are. I'm not happy about them, but have been planning this trip too long to
back out now. I also have no scheduled return date. I guess when I get sick of driving, or run out of money I'll come home.
Just go, and don't worry about fuel prices...

Have a good trip.May be we will cross paths.Although we don't leave until August.

Frank

....with no return date set.

Maybe you will stay up there, your fuel cost would be cut in half. ;)

In all seriousness, I will echo what others have said. The fuel prices are hard to swallow, it is somewhat devastating to fill the tank at $5 a gallon. But if you can go now, then by all means go! You do not know what life will bring, and a lot of people spend their whole lives dreaming about travels and never go. Just be sure to camp for free each night, and then remember the money saved when the gas bill comes.

Maybe you will stay up there, your fuel cost would be cut in half. ;)

In all seriousness, I will echo what others have said. The fuel prices are hard to swallow, it is somewhat devastating to fill the tank at $5 a gallon. But if you can go now, then by all means go! You do not know what life will bring, and a lot of people spend their whole lives dreaming about travels and never go. Just be sure to camp for free each night, and then remember the money saved when the gas bill comes.

One thing we know the future will bring. As time goes by, you'll wish for the "good ole' days" when gas/diesel was only $5 per gallon. Peak oil arrived years ago, wait a few more years to make that Alaska trip and you may be paying $10 a gallon. As hard as I try to ignore the future of oil, well....just google "peak oil".

Anne and I may make the trip ths summer as well. We'll choose between the Dodge CTD/ATC and our Civic Hybrid (50 mpg) with a small tent. Any of those roads Bob speaks of, even the awesome Old Denali Hwy, can be done in a sedan. I did them 2 years ago in a Chevy Impala that I was delivering to Anchorage.

Thank you for all the comments.
The next issue is it the Dempster or the Dalton? Have been reading thru the blogs and they both sound interesting and really no preference as to which one is better. Or with time on my side maybe both, and forget about the gas.
Like Overland Hadley says, may just cut my expense in half and stay their.

SO OH, on the North Shore of Superior! Have been thinking of a trip around the "Gitche Gumee". East of Thunder Bay it is just OMG beautiful from the last time their and really didn't get to see it. Work related, Jan, -40f/c, one does not take a deep breath at that temp. Have seen just a little of the South Shore and that is spectacular.

Thanks all and hope our paths meat, someone has to have something cooking.

Tom

SO OH, on the North Shore of Superior! Have been thinking of a trip around the "Gitche Gumee". East of Thunder Bay it is just OMG beautiful from the last time their and really didn't get to see it. Work related, Jan, -40f/c, one does not take a deep breath at that temp. Have seen just a little of the South Shore and that is spectacular.

Yes, it is nice up here. But we do have some long winters, about 7 months worth.

Send me a PM if you are headed up this way.

Ok, this is your plan. Eastcoast north bound. Westcoast southbound. Agreed good, when do u leave? That way u have it covered.
One hell of a trip though. Important thing to remember is our wx. here is a lot better than where Overland Hadley is. Ha ha.
Then again just head north and see what happens. Either way it will be awesome.

20 days out, and the fun will begin. WI, MN, ND, WY, AB, BC, YT, AK, NT, AB, SK, MB(?) and back. How long ?????

I'm on the same trip. Have been on the road since May 3. From Ontario, to MI, WI, MN, SD, WY, MO, ID, OR, BC, YT, AK. We're here for now enjoying the AK summer and staying with friends after 15,000km of driving. Heading to Dawson, YT tomorrow for the weekend and some touring then back to AK for a bit (or a while, it's my favourite place on earth), and eventually to BC for good.

Fuel prices are a sunk cost if you want to travel, and travel by road is still the cheapest option and you get to stop and see and smell every rose along the way.

Have a good trip!

I'm on the same trip. Have been on the road since May 3. From Ontario, to MI, WI, MN, SD, WY, MO, ID, OR, BC, YT, AK. We're here for now enjoying the AK summer and staying with friends after 15,000km of driving. Heading to Dawson, YT tomorrow for the weekend and some touring then back to AK for a bit (or a while, it's my favourite place on earth), and eventually to BC for good.

Fuel prices are a sunk cost if you want to travel, and travel by road is still the cheapest option and you get to stop and see and smell every rose along the way.

Have a good trip!

Gormley,

While you are in Dawson City, eat at Klondike Kate's it's great! So do not miss your chance to do the Dempster Hwy.

Gene

Maybe we will pass you on the road somewhere. We are leaving today. Will be in haines Juncton Yukon on Saturday then down to Haines. Might stay one night at Million dollar Falls..
robbie

Back
Top Bottom