Alaskan Cab Over Rebuild Sheet metal and trim

Garden-gnomes

Found and purchased a 99 CO. When starting the replacement of the Perreli seals we discovered a badly rotted Cab over area. Seems to be only in the top. Have replaced the back panel, 10' rails along the bottom edge, THe curved parts where the CO joins the body and several smaller parts. THe top skin is OK and now back on.

THe trim/flashings under the cabover and along the sides are a wreck. Way to many holes and tears to reuse. My guess is some rather crude seal replacements. And of course longer screws drawn up into rotted wood. All new parts are dry, treated lumber or laminated 3/4" marine ply epoxy coated. I have build a few boats.

Now the problem of the curved trim parts. Has anyone made the parts or had luck with local sheet metal shops handling the curved bends without crimping or tearing the flanges?

I am considering making a laminated wood epoxy fiberglass molding but that is some serious work.
Open to other ideas.

Thanks

I used aluminum angle from Home Depot. I think it is 3/4x3/4x1/16" thick. I bought a set of Harbor Freight shrinker/expander tools and had good luck making the curved trim. The expander leaves marks, but they are not too noticeable once powder coated.

Lousy pic here:

Woops

Attachments

• 20160428171510.jpg
    20160428171510.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 361
Lookin good Ripper J. I like the black trim and lower support. May have new parts coming from Alaskan. Spoke to Bryan. A common part they have in stock. Hope to get the top put back into the slides tomorrow. Then start sealing corners. My sheetmetal has seen some wear. Will require some creative caulking.

Back
Top Bottom