Alpine Day Trip

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
We needed a break from the house, so loaded up the pups, a few snacks and headed out to look for new camping and hiking spots. We took a Forest Service road between the beautiful towns of Halfway and Joseph. The area is the de facto divide between the Wallowa mountains and Hells Canyon.

The wildflowers were in bloom, and as a roadside sign proclaimed, the grass was green and the air was cool. We found a few lakes, some nice creeks to fish, places to hunt grouse, and my favorite wildflower, the fawn lily (Erythronium).

edit: apologies for the double spacing. I’m not sure why.

gallery_4841_711_4292583.jpeg

gallery_4841_711_240891.jpeg

med_gallery_4841_711_35998.jpeg

Looks like a fantastic day trip Steve. It's a beautiful world -- we just have to go out take a look at it once in while!

Hi Steve

We have a coastal variant of the Fawn Lillies on our river front...they are pink.

Beautiful photos.

I like double spacing !

David Graves

Indeed, what a beautiful area. My in-laws live in Prineville and we’ve been fortunate enough to travel to your backyard several times. Up to Hell’s Canyon lookout, the “backroad” to Halfway…just gorgeous. Our last trip found us horse packing into the Eagle Cap Wilderness. Envious, yes! Thanks for the report.

Pretty neat Mr. Sage! Next trip visit the East Fork Eagle Creek trailhead into the south side of the Eagle Cap Wilderness. It's where Paint Your Wagon was filmed. You can take in the grandeur and imagine Lee Marvin's and Clint Eastwood's singing voices echoing in the mountain valley. :)

ski3pin said:
Pretty neat Mr. Sage! Next trip visit the East Fork Eagle Creek trailhead into the south side of the Eagle Cap Wilderness. It's where Paint Your Wagon was filmed. You can take in the grandeur and imagine Lee Marvin's and Clint Eastwood's singing voices echoing in the mountain valley. :)
I’ve done that backpack a couple of times, or was it Main Eagle. It’s spectacular, regardless of which one.

Back
Top Bottom