Aluminum siding or Reinforced Fiberglass Filon siding?

Boonie

Since my intended use for my camper will be in the backcountry of Colorado, I am concerned that narrow trails combined with low hanging tree branches and scrub brush pose inevitable contact and possible damage to the siding of my camper both physical and aesthetic. Although I removed the original siding as carefully as possible, I have my doubts that it is reusable, therefore, I may be replacing the siding. Should I replace with original .024 gauge alum siding? Increase to .062 alum siding, or switch to .042 gauge reinforced fiberglass siding?

My thoughts at this time is to go with the more durable reinforced fiberglass, Filon, attached to the aluminum frame with 3M VHB tape. I would backup the spaces with rigid foam insulation attached with spray adhesive, then wood paneling inside. This method reduces the air gaps and attachment penetrations and at the same time reduces some of the thermal transfer of aluminum to aluminum.

I don't recall who may have had experience with Filon, but I'm asking your opinion. What do you think?

Boonie

I realize you are asking about Filon, but wanted to say the original FWC aluminum siding has been very resistant to limb scratches for me. Much better than the clear coat/paint on my Tacoma.

I think aluminum is more forgiving, it can dent quite a bit vs crack on hard hits. I debate on smooth finish vs dimpled, I like smooth but dimpled certainly will hide dings more. I'll be using 0.024" aluminum and VHB on mine. FYI the local place also has sign stock in 0.032" and 0.063" sign stock by the sheet. I'll cut gonna use the 0.024" coil stock though.

I think some of these dings would have cracked fiberglass:

kkV5Dlql.jpg

FrnjNFsl.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom