an alaskan camper on a trailer?

Henricksen

Advanced Member
Hi there Alaskan owners,
I just joined this forum and am enjoying getting caught up on the posts from back a few years. Unless I missed some, I didn't see any related to something I am interested in exploring. And that is putting a 2006 10 foot cabover Alaskan camper on a trailer and hauling it with my pickup or other vehicle capable of doing it. What is driving me to thinking about this is: 1) being able to unhook and setting up at a camp site and then leave to explore with vechicle; 2) the tailgate of my Dodge 3500 is 39 inches above the ground, posing at our age a potentially precarious travel up and down our steps; 3) no longer wishing to put on and take off camper but would like to leave it ready to go and just hook up and leave.
Anyone done this? or thinking of doing it? or have thought about it and dismissed the idea is ridiculous?

Any comments welcome and thanks,
Henricksen

It's up to you, but a travel trailer can make a better base camp for what you describe. You get more room, better plumbing, and more comfortable beds. For wandering around and camping wherever you feel like it, the camper on the truck is the way to go.

Mounting scissor steps can make a big difference in getting into and out of the camper on the truck. It sounds like you have enough truck for the Alaskan. Using a 4 step scissor step might make it safer for you to use the camper in the bed of the truck. Doesn't get around the mounting/unmounting hassle with the camper and doesn't make it ready to hitch up and go, but the steps do make the entry/exit from the camper easier and safer.

I too have thought of doing this, even have the trailer to do it with. I would like to be able to move it around the yard as well. I think it would be a great use of your Alaskan when it gets difficult to load and unload. The wind resistance would still be quite low and probably would not change your fuel milage by much.

I used to have trouble loading and unloading my Alaskan. then I made new saw horses for it to sit on. They are about 2" higher than the truck bed I put the back one under first leaving the front sitting on the truck. Being a 10' there is room under the back without moving the camper. When the back is firmly on the rear sawhorse I jake up the front and move the truck ahead enought that the front is still under the truck bed, then I slide the front sawhorse under they camper about 3/4 of the way back then I move the truck the rest of the way out. By doing it this way the camper is always secure to the ground and not possible to move like it does on the jacks. I am 73 and load and unload by myself with no problems. I also use my Alaskan more than 100 days a year.

I know that I've posted the pic before, just don't recall where.....

I saw it later, the FSB parked there is the tow rig. Wasn't too impressed with that trailer's tongue.
img_92977_0_e5ef72b9814939a399dffecdd86e8722.jpg

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Why not a travel trailer? There are low profile models. Probably far less hassle than a camper on a trailer.
Yes, that thought has been in our options also. Perhaps an A-Frame type trailer unit. We really like our Alaskan and hate to sell it, also since it is all paid for. So as we get older we are trying to adapt it somehow to fit into our older years. Actually, the Alaskan on a trailer does sound like a lot of humbug not to mention to additional cost.
Thanks for your reply

Argonaut20 said:
It's up to you, but a travel trailer can make a better base camp for what you describe. You get more room, better plumbing, and more comfortable beds. For wandering around and camping wherever you feel like it, the camper on the truck is the way to go.

Mounting scissor steps can make a big difference in getting into and out of the camper on the truck. It sounds like you have enough truck for the Alaskan. Using a 4 step scissor step might make it safer for you to use the camper in the bed of the truck. Doesn't get around the mounting/unmounting hassle with the camper and doesn't make it ready to hitch up and go, but the steps do make the entry/exit from the camper easier and safer.
I don't get at all enthused about hauling a trailer with the Alaskan on it. But we are determined to continue camping around here in Northern NM, Southern CO, and such places. Whenever we walk into the Alaskan, it feels just like home. So whatever we do, we can't make it harder for us. I am looking for a handrail for our 24 inch 5 step scissor stairs.
Thanks for your reply

Mike S. said:
I too have thought of doing this, even have the trailer to do it with. I would like to be able to move it around the yard as well. I think it would be a great use of your Alaskan when it gets difficult to load and unload. The wind resistance would still be quite low and probably would not change your fuel milage by much.

I used to have trouble loading and unloading my Alaskan. then I made new saw horses for it to sit on. They are about 2" higher than the truck bed I put the back one under first leaving the front sitting on the truck. Being a 10' there is room under the back without moving the camper. When the back is firmly on the rear sawhorse I jake up the front and move the truck ahead enought that the front is still under the truck bed, then I slide the front sawhorse under they camper about 3/4 of the way back then I move the truck the rest of the way out. By doing it this way the camper is always secure to the ground and not possible to move like it does on the jacks. I am 73 and load and unload by myself with no problems. I also use my Alaskan more than 100 days a year.
I think that sounds like a very helpful idea. I would remove my tailgate to allow the back saw horse to slip under. I don't think I really need the tailgate on anyway. For my jacks I could get an attachment for my drill to fit on the jack I have and turn it instead of using the handcrank to raise and lower it. My wife and I are 66 and she has anxieties about the process but these modifications might just ease that.
Thank you for the response.

ntsqd said:
I know that I've posted the pic before, just don't recall where.....

I saw it later, the FSB parked there is the tow rig. Wasn't too impressed with that trailer's tongue.
img_92988_4_e5ef72b9814939a399dffecdd86e8722.jpg
Thanks for the pic. I haven't actually seen one on a trailer setup. We are still undecided how to make our Alaskan adapt to our life style.
Thank you for your reply

I load my Alaskan loads without the tailgate. With the Dodge if you no not remove the tailgate you can not lower the spare tire.

Take a look at the older Avion trailers....wood interiors much like alaskans..look like an airstream...feel like an Alaskan

I tow a boat....so

It sounds like you are arriving at a way to use your Alaskan that you like and is comfortable for you. I know the feeling about hanging in there with a camper that you are used to and which feels like home. They get to be like old friends.

Mike S. said:
I load my Alaskan loads without the tailgate. With the Dodge if you no not remove the tailgate you can not lower the spare tire.
I do think that taking off the tailgate is a good idea in order to make loading and unloading the Alaskan easier and safer. I was thinking that if I did that I might want to wrap the exposed bottom of the Alaskan with sheet metal or the like to protect it from road crap. By the way, last year we were camping in the Big Horns in Wyoming and I had a flat with my 2004 Dodge 3500 aand I am able to quite easily lower the spare tire thank goodness.
Thanks for the comments.

Rusty said:
Take a look at the older Avion trailers....wood interiors much like alaskans..look like an airstream...feel like an Alaskan

I tow a boat....so
Will do. I am not familiar with the Avion Trailers. But my search is just beginning.
Thanks

Argonaut20 said:
It sounds like you are arriving at a way to use your Alaskan that you like and is comfortable for you. I know the feeling about hanging in there with a camper that you are used to and which feels like home. They get to be like old friends.
That is exactly correct. My wife is inclined to want to put it on a trailer for the reasons I have mentioned previously. However, that project sounds to me like a major deal and probably not inexpensive. I am really trying to come up with adjustments to the Alaskan so that the concerns can be reasonably addressed and we can continue to enjoy camping with the Alaskan on the back of the truck in a safe manner and maybe not quite perfect but fine enough for us.
Thanks for your thoughts.

To be honest, I don't think you would gain much by putting the Alaskan on a trailer. Height might be a little lower but you still have the safe entry/exit problem. Some of the mounting ideas offered sound like they might make it easier to mount/dismount the camper on the truck and the hand rail for the steps could be a winner. I wonder if you could fabricate a swing out handle that you could use as a grab handle for entering/exiting the camper, but fold out of the way when traveling. We find that having a grab handle helps when we climb the stairs to the camper.

I have seen fold-away hand rails for class A's. No idea if one long enough is available or not. This is something that a talented welding or blacksmith shop could make or modify easily enough. I know just the guy in the 93003 area.
Like this: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/lend-a-hand-rv-hand-rail-sparkling-silver/29043

Were I personally going to put a camper on a trailer I would do it on a gooseneck trailer and have a "built-in deck" from the remaining trailer deck. Those tow and back-up easier than a bumper-tag trailer too.

Argonaut20 said:
To be honest, I don't think you would gain much by putting the Alaskan on a trailer. Height might be a little lower but you still have the safe entry/exit problem. Some of the mounting ideas offered sound like they might make it easier to mount/dismount the camper on the truck and the hand rail for the steps could be a winner. I wonder if you could fabricate a swing out handle that you could use as a grab handle for entering/exiting the camper, but fold out of the way when traveling. We find that having a grab handle helps when we climb the stairs to the camper.
Yes, I am thinking along your lines. If I understand what you mean by a grab handle,we have one to the left side of our door mounted to the body of the camper. Were I to add a safe sturdy handrail, perhaps similar to the one referred to me by rayct77 at the link below, that difficulty would be finished. I have to think about the mount/dismount situation a bit to sort out an easier situation than I have now, given the ideas suggested so far. Regarding the desire for more liberty to travel around once camped, if push comes to shove could always tow another vehicle behind and use that for travel. But I am inclined to shine that whole issue on as not that important to our overall enjoymnent of our camping experience.
Thanks
http://www.etrailer....rophy/AHR5.html

Back
Top Bottom