An Experiment: How much does the camper affect mileage?

White Dog

Since I was driving from Winnipeg to Calgary and back along the exact same route to pick up the new Grandby, I decided it was great opportunity to carry out a mileage experiment. The distance is 1350 km (840 miles) each way. The eastern half is quite flat and the western half is tall rolling prairie. The weather was about the same both ways, cool (4C to 14C – 14F to 58F) and a mixture of broken clouds for about half and flog/light rain for the other half. With one exception (see below), the winds were light (5 kph to 10 kph – 3 mph to 6 mph) and crossing the highway.

My truck is a 2011 Toyota Tundra with a 5.7 l V8 and a 6-speed automatic transmission. It is the double-cab long box 4X4 model. I weighed the truck at a provincial highway weigh station empty on the way out and again with the camper at the same station on the way back. Empty, the scale said the truck weighed 2612 kg (5746 lbs). With the camper, it said the weight was 3287 kg (7231 lbs) which included a full water tank. So the camper added 625 kg (1375 lbs). This is within 50 kg (110 lbs) of what I calculated it should weigh when I ordered the camper back in November based on the weight figures from FWC.

To minimize my effect on the mileage, I used cruise control whenever it was safe to do so. In Manitoba, the speed limit is 100 kph (62.1 mph) and in Saskatchewan and Alberta its 110 kph (68.4 mph). On the way out empty, I travelled as close to the speed limit as possible. On the way back with the camper, I held a constant 100 kph. The Tundra had no difficulty dealing with the weight and speed. I didn’t use the Tow/Haul feature. It simply wasn’t necessary. Certainly the transmission shifted down sooner and up later on hills with the camper and shifted down on some hills that it wouldn’t have when empty. That is to be expected.

So, what did I find out? Traveling empty, the average mileage at 100 kph was 24.12 mpg (imp) (20.09 mpg (US)). (Note: Being Canadian, I will give the mileage in imperial gallons first followed by the mileage in US gallons in brackets). Surprisingly, this was a touch higher than the Toyota rated mileage of 24 mpg but I typically get 23 to 24 mpg with this truck if I drive carefully, the weights are low, and I’m not fighting a wind. When I increased speed up to 110 kph, the mileage dropped to 20. 5 mpg (17.0). I was a bit surprised at this difference. I guess it is a good example of ‘slow down to save gas’. Coming home with the camper holding a constant 100 kph, the average mileage was 19.7 mpg (16.4) or 18.3% less than empty at the same speed – surprising, not that much less than cruising empty at 110 kph though. At the end of the first day on the return trip with the camper, a 20 to 25 kph (12 to 16 mph) headwind (based on local radio reports)came up for about 4 hours. The mileage during this time dropped to 18.3 mpg (15.2) or 24% from the recorded mileage empty at the same speed. Obviously, the headwind had an effect which is to be expected given the increased frontal area when carrying the camper.

What do I conclude? I can expect the camper to reduce my mileage by 15% to 25%, the higher figure being with headwinds. Considering the weight and increase in frontal area, I feel this quite reasonable. When towing my 24’ travel trailer, the mileage is reduced by 40% to 50%. I am also convinced that using cruise control while hauling the camper reduces mileage. In the rolling country of Saskatchewan, I could feel the truck constantly trying to accelerate and decelerate in order to maintain the set speed. By careful manual driving (no cruise), I believe I will be able to increase mileage by at least another mpg. I do this with the trailer all the time. I was also very pleased with the way the Tundra carried the camper. I knew the camper was there and the predictable braking and acceleration effects were noticeable but the truck felt like it had lots of reserve left.

Other observations: I recorded the estimated average mileage from the Tundra’s onboard computer with each tank of gas. It was always within 3% of the true mileage - quite good actually. This is not just an interesting anecdote. It means that the estimate of range from the same computer is pretty reliable. This is a useful bit of information. Toyota seems to have included about a 10% reserve in the calculation, meaning that when the estimate says ‘0’, there is still 10 l of gas in the 100 l tank.

Obviously, this is only one trip. I will certainly see if I can increase mileage by driving without cruise especially with headwinds. I tried to control as many of the variables as possible during this trip but still there has to be some ‘human’ and ‘environmental’ effects that impact mileage. I would be interested in hearing what others have to say. Everyone drives differently and with the price of gas, anything that increases mileage is ‘a good thing’.

Well-done experiment and write-up, White Dog! Thanks.
smile.gif

(FWIW: The difference I've seen without/with camper on my rig was 14 mpg without camper, 12 mpg with (best-conditions -- generally flat without wind, etc), that's a 14% drop -- about the same as you saw in your best-case condition.)

Not as good of an apples to apples comparison; Drove to Vegas (~300 miles) holding the truck to it's reported best efficiency rpm range wherever reasonably possible. Stock gearing and stock tires (3.54's & 265/75's). Recorded 19.5 mpg using the stock odo for the miles.

Drove two separate ~300 mile stretches on our first outing with the Phoenix camper in place also holding to that rpm range. Stock gearing, but 315's to gain some rubber OD. Recorded 16.4 on one leg and 16.37 on the leg with the headwind. Knowing that the stock odo would be off I used the GPS V for the miles on the second pair of legs.

Been doing math all day at work, I'll let someone else work the percentage loss.

Curiously, pushing the rpm's even 50 rpm higher than the top end of the range dropped the mileage with the camper in place down to the 13 range.

Mr. White,
I have a similar 5.7 4x4 LB DC tundra with a Ranger FWC.
In my first outing from the SF bay area to Red Bluff, with a nice gusty headwind of 15 to 25 MPH (for about 225miles at about 75MPH) I was at about 12.9 MPG. As I left the central valley and climbed east into Lassen Volcanic Park I noticed my mileage was increasing! As I drove from Manzanita Lake, North and then South from the Lava Beds "average"" best mileage" went from 12.9 to 14.9 MPG. Most of that increase in MPG was done over "up hill" most of the time and with no head wind.
So, I am guessing that headwind is the killer for our trucks MPG and not going up and down hills. I have a nice trip to Death valley from the SF bay area soon, I'll report back my mileage I as I can. Lots of hill, and (hopefully) very little headwind.

Roger

Since ...I would be interested in hearing what others have to say. Everyone drives differently and with the price of gas, anything that increases mileage is ‘a good thing’.

Your 14.9 MPG(US) converts to 17.9 MPG(Imp). Given the headwind and hills that seems about right. My test was on the nice flat prairies (which are actually mostly rolling) and with virtually no headwind. Like you, I've noticed the 5.7 Tundra (without the FWC) isn't affected to much by hills as long as I drive without the cruise and am willing to keep the speed to 100 kph or a bit less.

Thanks for the info.

snip...

I am also convinced that using cruise control while hauling the camper reduces mileage. In the rolling country of Saskatchewan, I could feel the truck constantly trying to accelerate and decelerate in order to maintain the set speed. By careful manual driving (no cruise), I believe I will be able to increase mileage by at least another mpg. I do this with the trailer all the time. I was also very pleased with the way the Tundra carried the camper. I knew the camper was there and the predictable braking and acceleration effects were noticeable but the truck felt like it had lots of reserve left.

Other observations: I recorded the estimated average mileage from the Tundra’s onboard computer with each tank of gas. It was always within 3% of the true mileage - quite good actually. This is not just an interesting anecdote. It means that the estimate of range from the same computer is pretty reliable. This is a useful bit of information. Toyota seems to have included about a 10% reserve in the calculation, meaning that when the estimate says ‘0’, there is still 10 l of gas in the 100 l tank.

snip...

Nice work, and I agree with your observations. Careful, skilled manual-control driving can yield better MPG that using cruise control, as the cruise will force too many hard downshifts (or just torque converter unlocking) to maintain an 'exact' speed. But like you, I typically use it for ‘tests’ as it’s repeatable and helps eliminate variables.

I want to say that my USA 2011 model truck has 6 gallons of fuel remaining when the ECM says there are zero miles left, but I can’t find my notes.

James

I want to say that my USA 2011 model truck has 6 gallons of fuel remaining when the ECM says there are zero miles left, but I can’t find my notes.

James

My dodge should has a 34gal tank (according to specs) when it reads empty on the computer it only takes about 30gal to till it so again inline with 10% "reserve".

Your 14.9 MPG(US) converts to 17.9 MPG(Imp). Given the headwind and hills that seems about right. My test was on the nice flat prairies (which are actually mostly rolling) and with virtually no headwind. Like you, I've noticed the 5.7 Tundra (without the FWC) isn't affected to much by hills as long as I drive without the cruise and am willing to keep the speed to 100 kph or a bit less.

Thanks for the info.

My experience with my '06 double cab Tundra, hauling or not is that wind is a major factor reducing mpg's. Really makes me wish I had looked into and built a fairing for the top of my cab connecting to the front of my Hawk as I am sure that would help at least!

That reminds me, I haven't seen recent posts about others experiences with fairings. Maybe time for a search to re-motivate me to evaluate that project.

Fred

My experience with my '06 double cab Tundra, hauling or not is that wind is a major factor reducing mpg's. Really makes me wish I had looked into and built a fairing for the top of my cab connecting to the front of my Hawk as I am sure that would help at least!
snip...

I agree, my experience with many trucks is that wind often affects fuel economy, and I live and travel in windy conditions often.

I have no experience with a fairing/wind deflector, but a local friend has one on his truck for his Hawk and said it's good for at least 1 MPG. I’d like the benefits but I don’t like the idea of adding one to my roof.

When I put a box over cab for my solar panel(I use a tripod in camp)I put a wind deflector and found that my mileage improved by about 1mpg. I'll take that.

Attachments

• IMG_0846.jpg
    IMG_0846.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 269
Back
Top Bottom