And the rain, rain, rain came down, down, down

Cayuse

Last weekends heatwave broke but not in a good way. Instead of just cooling down the skies decided to open up and deliver some late spring moisture which while good for the region cancelled the climbing weekend that was in the works, wet rock just isn't a lot of fun to climb on.

Friends had been having reasonable luck with some mushroom picking in a burn area a couple hours away and so I decided to head out after work and see if I could find some morels on Saturday. Knowing that this was going to me a fast and light trip I and was spur of the moment I went with what was already loaded in the camper which meant that the first stop was The Snakepit in Enaville, ID for a bite to eat.

Dinner was really good and while the local drama that was starting to play out may have ended up being entertaining I wanted to move on and find a campsite so I headed on up the North Fork of the Coeur d'Alene River past Prichard and just kind of enjoyed the sites.

Obviously they aren't teaching reading in school these days.

Found a nice place to camp up a random logging road.

This morning I did a little bit of scouting for future trips.

Well yes this is why I came to the area in the first place.

Then it was time to get serious.

And because a former Geology Prof said you should always try and show scale in your photos:

Glad that whoever was eating their dinner here didn't come back for the leftovers.

A quick trip to a waterfall and then home to enjoy some fresh mushrooms sauteed with garlic while the rest dry for future use.

Not a bad haul for a late season trip. Now reports are starting to surface of low lying huckleberries already being ripe!

Thanks for tagging along. Sorry for the picture quality, I left my regular camera with the climbing gear from the previous weekend so it was cell phone only this time around, this cause me to miss a couple other elk photos, several deer and a moose but hopefully I can do a couple more trips through the area this summer, there's lots to explore.

That is a nice haul this late in the season. We scored a few morels a week ago at 7,000', down here in California.
Considering you were shooting with your phone, you did well with a couple of slower, 1/15s type waterfall shots.

When the hobbits were run off farmer (god, after 15 readings you'd think I could remember his name) I was thinking, why'd they want mushrooms anyways? I still think that way. I even pick them off my pizza. Not about to try and train Riley to sniff out shrooms.

Lighthawk said:
That is a nice haul this late in the season. We scored a few morels a week ago at 7,000', down here in California.
Considering you were shooting with your phone, you did well with a couple of slower, 1/15s type waterfall shots.
Thanks, I was surprised to have better luck lower after the heat we've had locally, go figure. I sometimes forget that there is a 'Pro' mode on the phone that lets me select things like shutter speed, glad I remembered today.

hoyden said:
YUM!
Bringing some for the group at the Utah meetup in October? :D
Somehow I think they'll be long gone by then ;)

GroovyDad said:
Those mushrooms look fantastic. Do you have a favorite dish in mind for them?
The smaller ones will get sauteed up with some garlic. The larger ones will get dried and reserved for later, probably stuffed with something.

Which waterfall is the one you posted? Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. We enjoy traveling through the Eastern part of our state as we encounter fewer people. And there some amazing places to explore. I grew up eating morels and hooligans. Our favorite place to pick is now a mall. ,☹️☹️

clikrf8 said:
Which waterfall is the one you posted? Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. We enjoy traveling through the Eastern part of our state as we encounter fewer people. And there some amazing places to explore. I grew up eating morels and hooligans. Our favorite place to pick is now a mall. ,☹️☹️
That is Shadow Falls in the Couer d'Alene National Forest Fern Falls is also nearby. Very few people :)

Back
Top Bottom