Another Newbie (inside pics now added)

Buckwheat

Hi I just bought my first camper a '67 8' NCO. I had been looking for one for awhile when I found this one. It needs some work but is solid and has no rot. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions for you guys. I've been lurking for awhile and have read many of the threads in this sub forum.
I have yet to pick up the camper my truck is at Ford getting a new engine. I can't wait to get it home and see what it really needs. Thanks for having me.

Hi Buckwheat, Welcome. We will definitely need pictures. :D
Cheers, Banderswipe.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    471.7 KB · Views: 165
I will get some pics up when I get the camper home probably in a couple of weeks until Ford is done with my truck(long story). Thanks for the welcome

I finally got some time when it was light out to get some pics of the inside this is before cleaning.
d3ab07dd.jpg

08d08576.jpg

e85febed.jpg

5f4cbb2d.jpg

e077dd00.jpg

cdb86e8b.jpg

1f79d550.jpg

3c835c7c.jpg

21b658e2.jpg

792ec7b7.jpg

239d07e3.jpg

What does anyone do for oiling/sealing the wood?

Very nice older Alaskan. Congratulations. You will enjoy it every time you use it.

I used clear polyurethane to redo wood paneling in an Alaskan years ago. Clean the wood up so there isn't grease or oil on it. TSP, Simple Green, etc for the cleaner. Clean and wipe, then let it sit until you are sure it is dry. Light sanding (150 - 220 grit) followed by a wipe down with a tack rag, then a coat or two of polyurethane. Be sure to do this when you can leave the windows and doors open or the fumes will get to you. A respirator is not a bad idea. Do an area at a time when applying the polyurethane so you can let it cure while you do something else. Perhaps do one side at a time, then do the roof. You will be pleased at how great it will look when you are done.

that's great looking camper. doesn't look like you have to do anything to it but load it up with stuff(too much stuff if you have a wife like mine),and head out camping. we had ours down at pacific beach in november in 70mph wind and rain and it was very comfortable.can't wait to try it at realto beach this winter.

i did have to do some refurbishing with mine when i got it.some problems were solved with hardware store adaptations as new parts weren't available or affordable.let me know if you need any advise.

wes

yeah, i'm down on key peninsula(near gig harbor).if you need info direct, my email is cty87300@centurytel.net

Back
Top Bottom