Another Trip to Texas, what to see along the way?

billharr

Another trip to Texas. First long trip in the Class B so this will be an adjustment from taking the Hawk. We have done the trip on I-10 several times, only taking 2 to 3 days to drive. This trip we want to do a little sightseeing on the way. Leaving the last week of March. Plan on a week getting to Schertz where my daughter lives. Week in Schertz, near San Antonio and another a week driving home. Plan on seeing the following on the trip going and returning.
  • Salton Sea Area.
  • Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument AZ.
  • Kitt Peak, AZ.
  • Tombstone and Bisbee AZ.
  • Marfa TX.
  • Big Bend State Park.
  • Big Bend National Park.
  • Carlsbad Caverns.
  • White Sands National Park.

This is a tentative list and will change. What areas are worth visiting and which are not worth the time? Are there any other areas that we should see on the way? No rough off road in the Van it is just too low.

Have you been to the Gila and the Gila Cliff Dwellings? Good camping up and around there as well.

Consider Anza Borrego State Park if you are heading south on 86 along the Salton Sea. It's about an hour west. Has campground sites as well as many varied and interesting dry camping spots. Enjoy your trip!

Pima Air & Space Museum and Kartchner Caverns are on the same path as Tombstone. My sister lives in Bisbee so I always include it in my So Arizona trips. Chiricahua's are one of my favorite places and there's also Cochise Stronghold across the valley in the Dragoon's. If you're a rockhound you can hit Rockhound State Park before diving south into Texas. Depending on how far north your route is Ruidoso and Lincoln NM are nice. Sounds like a fun trip!!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Bill, I would add Patagonia, AZ and Chiricahua Nat Monument as other interesting places.
Chiricahua add as a stop. Looks like something we need to see.

Ronin said:
Pima Air & Space Museum and Kartchner Caverns are on the same path as Tombstone. My sister lives in Bisbee so I always include it in my So Arizona trips. Chiricahua's are one of my favorite places and there's also Cochise Stronghold across the valley in the Dragoon's. If you're a rockhound you can hit Rockhound State Park before diving south into Texas. Depending on how far north your route is Ruidoso and Lincoln NM are nice. Sounds like a fun trip!!
Cavern tours sold out to Mid April. We stumbled into Lincoln NM accidently on one of our trips, well worth stopping and walking around. If anyone is in that area stop in Capitan NM and tour the Smokey the Bear Historical Park, the original Smokey is buried there.

As already mentioned... Chiricahua, National Park and the Gila Cliff Dwellings well worth the visit. When you get to Texas and done down in the Big Bend area a very nice place to kickback is the Ft Davis area.... city, fort and state park are nice easy day. If available the McDonald Observatory is nice too.

If going to Carlsbad Cavern, add Guadalupe Mt National Park, specifically Mckittrick Canyon if you want a nice flat hike to a couple of historic cabins, or Guadalupe Peak itself, the highest point in TX, if you want a strenuous all day hike. Camping available 1st come 1st serve. No hookups, really just a parking lot with lined RV spaces. Water and restrooms available, no dump station.

billharr said:
Cavern tours sold out to Mid April. We stumbled into Lincoln NM accidently on one of our trips, well worth stopping and walking around. If anyone is in that area stop in Capitan NM and tour the Smokey the Bear Historical Park, the original Smokey is buried there.
Wife and I did the loop around Capitan. Lincoln, and paid respects to Smokey the Bear. After a night near Roswell and a visit to the museum we drove to Carlsbad Caverns. As luck would have it the elevator wasn't working and only had 2 hours to walk down and back up before closing time.
Pic near the town of Carlsbad we had the best ever food truck tacos!! Worth the stop for a quick meal.

Attachments

• Carlsbad Food Truck - 1.jpg
    Carlsbad Food Truck - 1.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 50
We second Guadeloupe Mt NP...the Camping area can blow pretty hard.....the cabin and history of the area is interesting.

David Graves

Back
Top Bottom