Anybody Running Air Bags on a 3/4 Ton Truck?

SDJeff

I know there are many threads about the merits of air bags and other suspension mods on 1/2 ton trucks. I just got my camper on my F-250 and am noticing a tiny bit of sag in the back. Have any of you with 3/4 ton trucks noticed that when your camper when on? Has anybody still used air bags even on a 3/4 ton? Not sure the slight sag matters. I had assumed air bags would only be for a 1/2 ton. Thanks.

Yes, When I first bought moby (08 Chev 2500HD) I installed a torsion key leveling kit to bring the front up to well, level. Then when I found and mounted my Fleet the rear squatted down an inch or 2, made the truck look silly. So I put in ride rites to get it level again and for clearance for bigger shoes when the budget permits. I run 40-50 psi with the camper on and 10 psi without, Hindsight being 20-20 I would pop the extra 40 $ for firestones, the bags are the same size but the firestones look to have better hardware.

I put them on my F250, then added a front leveling kit, 2.5". I do about the same, 50# if loaded or towing (without weight distributing), less when empty which is pretty unusual for me. The bags for the 250's are much more stout than the 1/2 ton variety which I also have.

I am very familiar with air bag suspension and can give my opinion. The load assist/helper air bag kits can give a rougher ride when unloaded due to the fact that you are increasing the stock capacity even with the minimum 10 psi in the bag. Air bag kits are designed to replace the overload springs in the leaf pack. Many installers do not remove the overload spring. An option to acheive a better ride quality is to remove a spring or two from the leaf pack and then run a slightly higher psi when unloaded. On my 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins I built a custom air bag set up and removed 3 leaf springs and the overload spring from the spring pack. Unloaded I run 25 psi and with my FWC I run 70 psi. This combination gave me a well improved unloaded ride quality. Air ride can be tricky when mixing leaf spring rates and air spring rates.

Check out this webpage
http://www.airbagit....gory-s/1881.htm

I installed air bags on my 3/4 ton. I run 45 lbs. with the camper. I didn't notice much difference with the empty ride (with 10 lbs) in my truck. When I have my camper loaded for a trip and hook up my small trailer too....I run about 80 lbs.

I love being able to fine tune the suspension via the air bags.

I run airbags on my F250. In addition to eliminating sag, they help a lot with roll in off-road conditions.

I have a '99 F250 4x4 and carried a Grandby for 7 years, sold it, and picked up a Grandby shell in March 2010. The truck has the Ford Factory camper package, designed for carrying heavier campers. While one can tell it sags slightly when the camper is on, I found that loading the camper on actually improved the ride considerably. Running with an open bed or even a light canopy was a very stiff ride.

TK

I am very familiar with air bag suspension and can give my opinion. The load assist/helper air bag kits can give a rougher ride when unloaded due to the fact that you are increasing the stock capacity even with the minimum 10 psi in the bag. Air bag kits are designed to replace the overload springs in the leaf pack. Many installers do not remove the overload spring. An option to acheive a better ride quality is to remove a spring or two from the leaf pack and then run a slightly higher psi when unloaded. On my 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins I built a custom air bag set up and removed 3 leaf springs and the overload spring from the spring pack. Unloaded I run 25 psi and with my FWC I run 70 psi. This combination gave me a well improved unloaded ride quality. Air ride can be tricky when mixing leaf spring rates and air spring rates.

Check out this webpage
http://www.airbagit....gory-s/1881.htm

I'm running PacBrake air bags on my 1 ton Ram diesel. They work well to take the sag out with the Alaskan on. The overload springs allow about 4 inches of travel before they kick in. Been wondering about some mods to allow better ride when empty. How long have you been running the modified spring set up? Link to page listed doesn't load.

I'm running PacBrake air bags on my 1 ton Ram diesel. They work well to take the sag out with the Alaskan on. The overload springs allow about 4 inches of travel before they kick in. Been wondering about some mods to allow better ride when empty. How long have you been running the modified spring set up? Link to page listed doesn't load.

I have been running my modified spring pack for about 6 months....so far so good. I truely did not need air bags for my FWC, but I also use my truck to haul heavy loads.

Try this link
http://www.airbagit.com/category-s/1881.htm

Back
Top Bottom