Anyone Baja Bound January-February ?

DavidGraves

Howdy

Is anyone planning a trip southward in Jan-Feb?

We are considering another run to Baja Sur and just updating our knowledge and thoughts.

Who went last year ?

Many thanks

David Graves

I'm probably going down the 1st week of March for 3 weeks. Last year Hwy 1 from El Rosario to Guerrero Negro was crappy but I heard it's better now. If you take Hwy 5 you'll miss part of that road. The road through Santa Rosalia is bad.

Spent both Xmas and New Year weeks down there last year. Contemplating the week after Xmas, but it will be surf dependent.

Ramblinman

Have you been down before ?

Favorite areas etc.?

We are mostly going to get away and to see the whales, ride some mules and see interesting plants, historical stuff.

DG

Yes I have been 2 years in a row 16' and 17' we loved it! Life got in the way last year. We went to see the whales just south of Guerro Negro.We like it all but seem to spent most of our time on the Gulf Side.

We enter at Mexcali early in the morning and aim to have lunch in San Felipe and meander from there. I aim to go every year from now on.

As for favourite areas we really like it all = except Cabo San :Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo - not our scene. Other than that we are never really disappointed. Each beach and town has its own unique vibe. We like Todo Santos for couple of days - its a little touristy but bearable. Its fun to watch the surfers nearby. Los Barrilles and LA Paz are nice and a little bit of change from camping on the beach. I like camping on the beach the most.

I am not in to plants but the Cacti is awesome. I have yet to really pay attention to the history. I like to embrace the food and culture and take it all in. we have stayed near San Felipe, Gonzaga Bay, LA Bay, La Ventana, Los Barrilles - we will grab a hotel in La Paz and San Ignacio but prefer to stay in the FWC as much as we can. Conception Bay is Beautiful but tends to be very busy.

I think your gonna love it. A good baja map is important if you don't already have one.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Howdy

We have gone several times....like it for much the same reasons as you.

We use the Baja almanac along with a fair bit of common sense as to our abilities.....we like backcountry roads but are not into "wheelin,"

Have never gone to Cabo and probably never will....no interest.

Santa Rosalia is a favorite town and Agua Verde a nice beach and trip.

We have mule camped into the San Francisco mountain cave paintings and highly recommend it.....but there is no need to hire a Tour Charter business.....it angers me to see Anglo outsiders charge $600 when the mule owner guide gets $60.

More later.

David Graves

We were down last winter after we picked up our ATC in Sacramento. Would like to go again but not sure I want to drive that far again this winter since we did a fall trip to Nfld. It's around 2500 miles from home to Mexicali. Not sure what to do this winter.

Howdy Penner

Our favorite view in Newfoundland/Labrador was how BLUE the icebergs can be.

We are hoping to go inland from Lorreto and up toward Comundor this trip...my spellchek is brokin.

David Graves

David,

How did you find the road in to Agua Verde? I read that it is very narrow is spots. Is it still doable with a full size truck?

Ramblin

I have not been there since '16. But yes, easily done in most any vehicle with a careful driver.

Others here have been there since and there are forums to find current conditions.

The drive down to sea level has spectacular views.

Glad to share more by PM.

David Graves

David!

We went last year and saw the whales, etc. Went down about 2/3rds the way down Baja. Camped, swam, hikes, hung-out. Awesome times and this year we're headed to the mainland for 2 months. I was just going to post that!

Definately go see the whales! Crazy cool!

Hey Kevin

Off hand, what did you do for auto insurance this time ?

Travel safe

David Graves

DavidGraves said:
Hey Kevin

Off hand, what did you do for auto insurance this time ?

Travel safe

David Graves
David. For the Baja trip we used https://www.vagabundos.com/ on this trip we're using https://mexinsurancestore.com/

I did a bit of shopping around and tried to pay attention to who the underwriters were and that they had good ratings. I guess I won't know for sure unless we have an issue.

Hi David,

It has been 15 years since my last trip.

My girlfriend and I are interested in driving into Baja. Taking in the scenery, wildlife and small towns interest us. PM me and we can
discuss this further...

Howdy

We have had some health issues come up or would already be in BCS.

Now we are just thinking of three weeks among the desert wildflower bloom...perhaps as far as Organ Pipe in southern AZ.

Regards

David Graves

Back
Top Bottom