Anyone put staples into the frame?

Sev3en

So my headliner has seen better days and I'm looking into the various options for affixing it. I'm not quite ready to remove the entire roof to do it "right" and I may never do that.

My question is, has anyone tried stapling into the frame (like from the factory) with a brad nailer/ stapler? I remember reading (can't find now) a post from Ben or Stan about the nailers they use but I'm wonder what would be adequate.

My other option is to drill holes and use some flat head screws...

Other ideas and thoughts would be great.

thanks

S.

S. i don't have any useful info on this topic, unfortunately, but keep us informed as to what you find out...seems like this could be an issue for many at some point, especially those of us with older campers! thanks!

Staples in roof

The staplers that we use are a senco air stapler. Most folks don't have one of these laying around. Your idea of screws will work fine. I would suggest a #8 3/4" self tapping screw.

Another idea that we did one time was to use plastic rivets to install the batton strips on the roof. It worked fine.

If you need a more detailed explanation on replacing the head liner, just give me a call when you get a chance.

Or just use aluminum pop-rivets -- No dissimilar metals to corrode -- The rivets aren't turning when they go in, so they won't scrunch the fabric -- They look much neater than screws. Aluminum washers of different sizes are available and the rivets are easy to drill out if that ever becomes necessary.

Pop-rivets or Screws...????

Sev3en

You might want to reconsider using sheet metal screws? If you change your mind on anything screws will always come back out. Pop-rivets will be a pain to remove if the need be! You do not want to be drilling them out around...fabric! Then...they could really grab and tear the fabric.
You might want to look in to ...Phillips Oval Head screws, probably a #6 or #8, and...what they call...Finishing Washers/Upholstery Washers. These are a cosmetic, concave type washer that accepts
the Oval Head screw and makes for a nice finished look!.
And...as PeteD suggests, these washers will not rotate and will not "scrunch" the fabric as the screw goes in.
They are readily available at any Ace Hardware, Orchard Supply Hardware, Home Depot, wherever...??
They are even available in Stainless Steel if you want to go that far?
But...not really necessary for interior use.

Coop.

Thanks for all the input. I think I like the idea of using screws. Remember also that I will be replacing the existing battons so the fasteners will need to go through both.

I may end up attaching the fabric first and then covering the screws up with the wood strips.

Sev3en

Just another thought to consider. IF you do replace your fabric, you might want to consider using simple 3M double sided tape and run it along the aluminum tubes/battens. This will hold up the fabric temporarily. You can then put up your trim (wood) strips and secure them using the same oval headed screws and finishing washers I mentioned earlier. You can use a little of the same double sided tape to hold up the trim strips. Makes it a lot easier to then just go along and spot and drill your holes for the screws. This will secure everything! And...they do use these screws and washers on furniture and that kind of thing, I think you'll find them to look pretty nice and finished from an appearance standpoint.
I have used them extensively throughout my camper for a variety of reasons/applications/mod's etc.

Coop.

I like the idea of using the double sided tape to hold things in place before more permanently securing.

I've been stuck on the idea that I had to have the headliner pulled tight. As I think through some of the comments I'm thinking that all I really need to do is make it cosmetically appealing.

Time to get crackin' on this thing:D

s.

That's a good idea on the tape! I've got the lid completely off my camper at the moment and have been terrified about removing the siding to restretch a new headliner (the old one was very moldy!) What do you guys think about using velcro stapled to the the aluminum, the reverse glued or stiched to the headliner? The wood slats would then be screwed thru the velcro. This would allow easy removal of the headliner. I know that this may seem trivial but living in the high humidity of the southeast.....

Sev3en, I have used a pneumatic narrow crown stapler on my new siding and it works like clockwork! I did however hang most of the siding using stainless truss head screws, they worked just as well and allow you the option of removing them. If you find that you can't find the trim washers and oval head screws, you could always try a truss head. They offer a wide very shallow head and you can buy them with a piercing tip to make starting them easy. If you really want to get fancy, you can use the same oval head screw but use a male button, like the ones they used to screw onto truck beds for tonneau covers. They make upholstry buttons to cover the whole works.

Good luck!

Velcro To Secure Headliner

Great idea...!!
May take a little more time and effort to initially install than the double sided tape, but...would have the advantage of allowing easier/better positioning and stretching of headliner, plus...as you say, the easy overall removability.
Also...just a thought has occurred to me! One of the main places condensation accumulates (at least in my camper. In fact, I've even had a thin crust of ice form?) is along the ceiling "trim strips". My thought is that; that is because the trim strips are essentially in direct contact (thru' the thin ceiling fabric) with the aluminum roof tubes, which conduct the outside cold directly to the them causing the condensation/icing. Perhaps...with a double layer of Velcro between the trim strips and the aluminum tubes, that maybe just enough insulation to isolate them from the cold and...maybe help prevent some condensation...??
In fact...if you could get the Velcro that secures with the pre-applied adhesive/thin foam on the back (instead of metal staples) that would provide even more thickness/insulation, and eliminate metal to metal contact as well.

Coop.

Anything one can do to stop the direct, metallic, conductive, transfer of heat from inside to out will help keep condensation from forming and a couple of layers of velcro would certainly do that.

As will even a small amount of insulation on the inside metal.

condensation problem on roof

The older campers were known for this. To prevent it we started using an 1/8" foam tape along the aluminum under the headliner. This made a type of barrier to help prevent that problem and it seems to work well.

The older campers were known for this. To prevent it we started using an 1/8" foam tape along the aluminum under the headliner. This made a type of barrier to help prevent that problem and it seems to work well.
Very good to know! :D :)

Ben is standing by to fix that problem for all you old campers out there with a factory new ATC!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom