Anyone using a SWING ARM bike rack mount with FWC?

zirkel

I have Gen 2 Tacoma with 6' bed + 1Up hitch-mounted bike rack. Fleet is currently being built.

Interested in adding a swing arm attachment between the 2"receiver and bike rack. Is anyone using a similar product? The Fleet extends beyond the bed -- Does this create a clearance issue for bike handlebars hitting the rear of the camper while mounted on the rack?

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/rakattach/

Thanks!

We had a Thule 4-bike (for just 2 bikes) swing mount on our Tacoma with an Eagle and it worked well. You just have to make sure you have clearance to open it up when you stop and need to get into the camper. This can be an issue in parking lots when you stop for supplies and an occasional campground site.

My wife is not able to ride a bike anymore, so we sold it. Doing a lot of driving on crushed rock roads in northern Canada, we added a 2" receiver to the front of the Tacoma and mounted a extra easy to get to spare tire. Onto that I mounted a strap-on bike rack for one bicycle. That worked well - but I think some state, like CA, may have restrictions on a front mounted bike, but I never had a problem. We have now switched to a Ranger and I'm still looking for a front mount receiver bracket.

Jack said:
We had a Thule 4-bike (for just 2 bikes) swing mount on our Tacoma with an Eagle and it worked well. You just have to make sure you have clearance to open it up when you stop and need to get into the camper. This can be an issue in parking lots when you stop for supplies and an occasional campground site.

My wife is not able to ride a bike anymore, so we sold it. Doing a lot of driving on crushed rock roads in northern Canada, we added a 2" receiver to the front of the Tacoma and mounted a extra easy to get to spare tire. Onto that I mounted a strap-on bike rack for one bicycle. That worked well - but I think some state, like CA, may have restrictions on a front mounted bike, but I never had a problem. We have now switched to a Ranger and I'm still looking for a front mount receiver bracket.
I have my 1up on the back of my Raven and have access to the door with the tilt feature shown in my video. Not that I just bought a class b van, I think I just might get the Rak Attach https://youtu.be/p_qBXBOiBgQ

we use a yakima swing away.. we have tailgate down to accommodate camper. The swing away adds approx 14 inches, which worked out perfect. The inside bike does hit the camper door, I built a little pad to keep it from doing damage.. so far, so good..

Not sure how we survived without it.. so nice not have to take bikes off to get inside or to set up camper.. makes things very easy..

Attachments

• swing away.jpg
    swing away.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 361
My new setup is a wilco swing out hitch with the hitch step sold by FWC and a kuat t1 bike rack. The hitch step stays in place and the bike mount swings away to provide access to the camper.

I have the Rakattach that you linked fitted with a 1up 2 bike rack on my F150 with a Hawk. Plenty of space for the bikes and it works great. Really easy to swing out of the way. I’d say most places are sold out of bike racks too so get one while you can.

Get a $10 hitch stabilizer to make it more secure also.

Thanks for all the input!

Related question:

I'd like to have the swing arm (hinge) open to the driver's side (left side rear bumper). This is also the side that the FWC door opens to and latches to.

My intent is to: as you're facing the rear door, bikes and camper door will be on the left (driver's side), leaving the right (passenger side) clear of all obstacles when going camper to passenger side awning set-up.

Any issues with camper door clearance and bike rack both being on the left (driver's) side?

Thanks!

Jack said:

1UP makes a 1-bike rack. Although these are expensive, they are, hands down, the BEST QUALITY, lightest, easiest to use, and American made bike rack you can buy.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/quik-rack-single/

zirkel said:
What is this? Can you provide a link?
Yep - very worth it to eliminate all play. The 1up has antirattle built in but the rakattach benefits a lot

CZC AUTO Hitch Tightener, Heavy Duty Anti-Rattle Stabilizer for 1.25" and 2" Hitches, Reduce Movement from Hitch Tray Cargo Carrier Bike Rack Trailer Ball Mount, Rust Free (1 Pack, Carbon Steel) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0792RDPD6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nkDsFbD6XP76K

i used to have a swing out rack but found it too cumbersome. i sold it and bought a hitch extension to use with my 1upUSA rack (the best and easiest bike rack) I modified the extension add a couple of steps. I can now get in and out without moving the bike.

Attachments

• bike camper.jpg
    bike camper.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 324
With my FWC I have to have the tailgate down, and the camper comes to rest 1-2" in from the edge of the tailgate. I got a Yakima Backswing to use with my Kuat 2-bike tray rack. Right now I can only have one mountain bike on there at a time, on the outer tray; there's too much handlebar interference with the camper if I try to put another mtb on the inner tray. I think a 4" extension, which I hope to weld on, should do the trick. Otherwise I've been happy with the Backswing; it's super solid. It's also nice to be able to swing away the bikes.

I've got the Yakima SwingAway with the Thule T2 Classic. Adds a lot of extra length on my Tundra! It works great but I'm wondering, is there a hitch step with an adapter so I won't step on the bike rack at all? Thanks!

Using a Thule swing away setup and a step. No issues with the length, but the play has been a problem - thanks all for the anti-rattle tips (now on order). I have 1up racks as well (as noted, no equal), but for camping the swing-away setup works better for me - bikes out of the way, I have a bike stand (w/ the rack) for maintenance. Bonus with the step is the space between the rack and door - I can open the door (enough) w/o swinging out the rack in a pinch.

Attachments

• PXL_20201018_140939666.jpg
    PXL_20201018_140939666.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 124
We also have the 1UP-USA that I tilt down for quick access to the back of the camper. I also have a set of plastic collapsible steps that I place sideways in the space in between the bumper and the first rack as well as a small wooden step I built that fits between the tilted down rack and the bumper step. What I found with the side swing arm type racks was the 2 inch receiver hitch that came with my Tacoma '17 was just a bit larger than an aftermarket version such as Kurt. The end result was the side swing arm type racks kept sagging to the heavy side and I just couldn't use it there. (I know this since I also have a Subaru that I mounted a Kurt on and the swing arm worked just fine there.) Bottom line- the stinger attachment of the swing-arm type rack is not designed to take up space like the 1UP-USA stinger is. I also have to use an extender to the rack that I bought through 1UP-USA as well. This is necessary to carry a mountain bike due to the FWC hanging over the end of the bed by 6 inches or so. The upswept angle of the 1UP-USA also makes it one of the best for "off-road" use.... in quotes since they do not claim this if you speak with them directly. Lastly, it is the quickest rack to put on and off-- if we are planning to camp in one spot for more than one night I will normally just take it off since it is also the lightest rack on the market. Sorry- no photos, I tried uploading but kept running into file size restrictions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom