Anything you'd do different?

craig333

Riley's Human
I was going to say regret, but I know I don't regret what I have or have done.

That said, with three years of my truck and camper under my belt, knowing what I know now, would I do anything differently? Sure, but not much.

I would have gone with a long bed instead of a shortbed. My original thought was it would be better offroad, but now I know for what I actually do a long bed would be fine. That would enable me to go the new Keystone camper. A little more room and the one thing I miss from my old camper is the inside bathroom and shower.

Even if I could afford to change I wouldn't (well barring be lottery type rich). I'll keep making some small changes to the camper (like an awning) not so much because it really needs it, I just like to do stuff like that :)

Not to many things I'd do different. Just more options. Two things that 20/20 hindsight would say. I should of gotten the front slider window. For rain proof ventilation. And the built in stereo, as long as I'm spending all that money for a new camper, a few hundred more would not have made that much deference.

A few options I would like to have that I don't, include -
  • ditch the icebox for an Engel fridge
  • add the screen door
  • get the wider 36" (?) door
  • add a solar panel up top
  • add an awning
  • update or upgrade the sleeping cushions to memory foam
  • reinstall the bench that was removed by the PO
  • ditch the dining table for something bigger than a lunch tray
From a comfort/convenience stand point, replacing the bench is at the top of my list. I like the easier access to the turnbuckles and the open floor space that not having the bench allows for. But I would prefer to have the bench to kick back on, at the end of the day or in a rainy camp.

The space I have without the bench-
camper009.jpg

camper010.jpg

When it rains outside, how I kick back inside -
Montana+127.jpg

camper upgrade

All the stuff that you list can be done to your camper still. If you are ever in the area and can drop off the camper, it would take a couple of days. The only thing I would ask you to reconsider is the table size. If you go bigger on that with the couch in the camper, it will get in the way big time if it is larger than the standard one.

The bench is pretty handy. More than a few times I've crawled in and grabbed an hours nap on the bench while traveling.

I never had a bench seat as I have a 1996 shell model. I recently built a platform, hinged about 2/3rds of the way out from the window. I still have easy access to the turnbuckles and the thing doesn't stick out into walking are when it's folded.
I would get the screen door, and already talked to Ben about that. Everything else I did myself. Just added a Shady Boy awning and installed a propane system and atwood 8012 2 furnace. I'll post pics of that stuff, as there was some interest on the subject a while back. When I get my act together, I'll post a few photos.
Hayduke

If I've learned anything from this forum it is that there are as many reasons to buy a FWC/ATC as people who own them. Some bought because it fit there truck, they got a good deal, they enjoy working on them, up grading from a tent. some for expeditions to exotic places or just a weekend away. It is all good. kcowyo, get the sofa, like craig says, they are geat for a power nap.

Cheers, Mike

All the stuff that you list can be done to your camper still. If you are ever in the area and can drop off the camper, it would take a couple of days. .....

I may be out in CA in October, so this is good news. There's a chance you may be hearing more from me soon.

So for the few upgrades I'm wanting, I could just leave the camper with you, without the truck? It would be nice to leave the camper with ATC and drive the truck up to OR to see the old man for a few days.

Re: the table - I've thrown the stock table, base and leg in storage. I have a nice roll-up camp table I use outside, but I want to mount it maybe with some Quickfists, on the wall where the stock table top mounts. I never use a table inside, it's too tight or I'm too clumsy.

This is good to know Ben, thank so much. It would be nice to freshen some things up.

- KC

Kc

KC,

That would work out great for us. Would have to see the table that you are talking about to see what size clips to get to mount it.

Only used my table once, to play poker on when it was freezing outside but its good to have just for those occasions.
I'll probably do the screen door as soon as I can afford it.

We just bought the Hawk in August and only used it for one week. Our sleeping space is the one where you pull out the bed to make the bigger bed (does this have a name). I think I would have been happier with the smaller, but stationary bed. There would be more room in the main compartment when someone wants to go to bed, and (may be most important) there would be room to leave all the bedding in place. We can't now as I takes up too much space and the top won't close right.

We did get a Fiamma45 awning with our Hawk which I really like. I do want to fabricate a rear awning for over the door.

We're headed for FL this weekend, I may have some other thoughts by the time we get back.

Bed

Sounds like you have the standard bed. The extended bed is a full 48" out over the cab. The one you have is probably 32" out over the cab with a 32" pull out on the inside. Even if you had the 48" bed though, it would have a 4" mattress on it and you still would not be able to leave your bedding up there. Another option for the 48" bed is still a smaller pull out of 18" to the inside if you like the larger bed area.

If I had the 4" bed my wife would be happier!

Sounds like you have the standard bed. The extended bed is a full 48" out over the cab. The one you have is probably 32" out over the cab with a 32" pull out on the inside. Even if you had the 48" bed though, it would have a 4" mattress on it and you still would not be able to leave your bedding up there. Another option for the 48" bed is still a smaller pull out of 18" to the inside if you like the larger bed area.

I assume you mean 4" depth. It would be nice. Anyone actually tried the memory foam? I'm wondering if it would be effective given the lack of depth we have.

Shouldnt be difficult at all to make some new stops so your bed didn't come out all the way. Then just shorten one pad. Only hard part would be making a new cover for the pad.

I was just in buying a piece of foam today. The guy said I wouldn't want to use memory foam in the camper even if 4 inches. Says you need a piece of regular foam under it rather than just putting it on wood or else you'll just sink through to the wood.

The other thing I learned (assuming the guy was on the level) is that there has been an appalling increasing in the cost of foam in the past couple of years due to Katrina knocking out a plant and the price of oil going up.

I recently paid around $95 for a 4" foam pad 25" x 75". Not cheap but worth every penny for a good nights rest........

The guy is right. We've bought it for use on another bed. It is very comfortable over something else soft, but needs to be much thicker (and really heavy) if used by itself.

Something thinner that seems to work pretty good is the Froli sleep system. We will be using it for the wife over the next few weeks. Will report when we get back. Or sooner if I can get online.

http://www.comfortmarineandrv.com/

I was just in buying a piece of foam today. The guy said I wouldn't want to use memory foam in the camper even if 4 inches. Says you need a piece of regular foam under it rather than just putting it on wood or else you'll just sink through to the wood.

The other thing I learned (assuming the guy was on the level) is that there has been an appalling increasing in the cost of foam in the past couple of years due to Katrina knocking out a plant and the price of oil going up.

I have the old mid 90's covered foam matresses on my bed, and they have not been comfortable for several years. I'm getting older, and so are the pads. I bought some 1.5 inch memory foam at overstock.com for a great price about a month ago. cut two pieces to fit my pull out and am using them over the existing pads. Haven't trip tested it yet, but it sure feels better.
Hayduke

Back
Top Bottom