Arctic Pac Benefits & Tip

pvstoy

Arctic Pac Benefits & Tip (REVISED)

Revised 4/10/2007 to include clearer details:

Arctic Pack Benefits & Tip

When we first ordered the 4-Wheel Camper Ranger we did not purchase the Arctic Pack. The camper was prepped with the Velcro in place for the future if we wanted to buy one. The older FWC Fleet model had a thicker liner and there was insulation between two layers. And yes, it would soak up water in the rain if it was popped up. Coming from the 4-Wheel Camper Fleet model, we did not know what to expect with the Ranger model.

On the “shake down” trip, we discovered that when the sun beats down on the side of the canvas, the heat is transferred inside. When sleeping in cold weather, water condensed on the inside of the canvas and our sleeping bags got wet. In the morning we used a towel to wipe down the inside. Now we sleep with the vents open more and re-scaled the thermostat to have a minimum 40-degree setting to keep the temperature above the dew point inside; the original thermostats have 50 degrees as the lowest temperature you can set it to maintain, but 50 degrees is too hot to sleep with nice down sleeping bags.

When cooking or boiling water the Fantastic power roof fan does a great job pulling out the extra moisture produced. By opening one or two access panels for the turnbuckles will provide fresh air to replace what is removed by the fan.

So we went ahead and bought the Arctic Pack. The other option was to find a suitable fabric and make one (we chose the easy route). The Arctic Pack is a thin, dense liner that when mounted provides a dead air space to better insulate. It comes in two pieces, a right and a left and they are labeled. The windows open up from the bottom. If your camper is prepped for the liner you will see a strip of Velcro running down the side length of the camper just below the liner. At the ceiling you will see a piece of liner hanging with a strip of Velcro sewn to it. To install the liner you will start at either the front or back of the camper. Look at the first window and line it up with the camper window. Press the two Velcro parts together. There is some extra that you will push behind the end panels.

We have found that the camper is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. The Arctic Pack is always on and is a great benefit for all seasons. The daily morning wake-up routine is to wipe the water from under the mattress where the bed overhangs over the truck cab. Also, pull back the Arctic Pack in the front (over the bed) and wipe the condensation off the liner. This is from breathing while sleeping. If you have an Arctic Pack, feel between the layers on a cool morning and see if it is wet. This is why you should always dry out the camper before storing with the top down, especially if you live in a climate that has higher humidity. Remember there could be moisture between the Arctic Pack and the liner that could cause mold.

This brings me to the problem I saw right off the bat. Before lowering the camper top, you have to pull back the Arctic Pack window to get to the hooks that the bungee attaches to. The bungee helps pull in the canvas liner when you lower the top. After thinking that you would have to do this all the time, and for four windows, I came up with a solution.

I asked my better half if her sewing machine could sew this fabric; sure she said. Then I marked where the metal rings were and gave her the Arctic Pack to sew button holes. After she did a great job sewing the button holes, I took a razor knife and made the slits between the stitching. Now you can just stick your finger in the hole and pull out the ring and attach the bungee. She just used a zigzag stitch to sew a rectangle around the slit area, to keep the slit from enlarging. I have made a small reference mark with a sharpie on the Arctic Pack and ceiling, so if I removed the Arctic Pack it will be re-installed in the same place allowing the rings to line up with the button holes.

These have been my opinions and observations and I hope this will help in the decision to have or have not an Arctic Pack. If you have any of your own opinions and experiences I sure would like to hear them.

Thanks for looking……….Patrick (aka pvstoy)

The picture below shows the stitching and the ring pulled out.

Attachments

• A-Pack-ButtonHole1.jpg
    A-Pack-ButtonHole1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 922
  • A-Pack-ButtonHole2.jpg
    A-Pack-ButtonHole2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 929
Patrick,

Great idea...

Can you post a picture of what the arctic pack looks like installed? Does it line the front and back or just the sides? Is it two piece or one piece?
Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim,

The Arctic Pac is 2 parts. A left side and an right side. Each will attach with Velcro at the top and bottom of the sides and a little will tuck in behind the end panels. The prep from the factory is a strip of liner with Velcro to it that hangs down along the top. Bottom is stick on Velcro along the frame down the sides. The factory started putting in the top piece because it is a big job to do it later.

Attachments

• InsideBack4.jpg
    InsideBack4.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,207
  • BedView2.jpg
    BedView2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,193
Arctic Pack

Patrick,

Great article on the Arctic Pack. Fantastic idea on the D-Rings. Would you mind if I used your article on our web site and also if I incorporated your D-Ring idea into our campers. Most of the improvements over the years have come from our customers and you have just proved that once again.

I also notice in your photos that it looks like the white paneling that we were using back then has held up well. Is that the case? I have a camper here now that is the same age as yours and the white cover has started to peel on the panels. The couple that own the camper are in extreme heat though and I think that is what has caused it. It is just cosmetic though. The panels are still in great shape.

Thank you again for the idea and I hope to be able to incorporate it if you don't mind.

Arctic pack

Jimjxsn,

To help clarify your questions, the arctic pack is a two piece option. Each piece velcros into place as Patrick describes and has posted pictures of. The ends of each piece are then just pushed behind the panels.

This in turn creates a one inch dead air space around the inside of the camper and creates the insulation factor that Patrick describes.

I have always known that the arctic pack worked well in the winter but have never tried it in the summer. Will have to do that next year when I get a chance to start camping again. At least I hope we have time to build a camper that we can use ourselves by that time.:)

Patrick, did it come with the mirror in the picture or did you add that?

I wonder why I"ve never had the moisture problem so many others have. I do leave the top vent open even when I'm running the heater.

Does the arctic pack fold up nice or is it something you're only going to carry when you know you're going to use it?

Patrick,

Great article on the Arctic Pack. Fantastic idea on the D-Rings. Would you mind if I used your article on our web site and also if I incorporated your D-Ring idea into our campers. Most of the improvements over the years have come from our customers and you have just proved that once again.

Thank you again for the idea and I hope to be able to incorporate it if you don't mind.

Yes Ben that is why I posted this for a benifit for eveybody, so go ahead and post.

The white has held up fine. Have not looked close enough on mine to see what is happening to the camper you have there. I like the light white for being bright inside.

craig333,

The mirror did not come with the camper. My old Fleet model had one and I went to a glass place and got a light mirror and 3m double stick tape at a height good for both of use. FWC started providing them after.

The Arctic Pac does fold/roll up nice, but I never take it off. Always on year around.

There are dry times when there are no moisture on the liner. You can trap moisture by cooking and breathing. The conditions need to be right to have moisture and you are doing fine by having the vent open

atctic pack

Patrick,

Thank you. We will be changing our arctic packs soon to include your improvement and I will have your review posted in the next couple of days on our site. I appreciate that very much. Thank you again.

Is this a great site or what?

I just installed the mirror after slapping my forehead and wondering why I didn't think of that.

Jay

Patrick,

I also notice in your photos that it looks like the white paneling that we were using back then has held up well. Is that the case? I have a camper here now that is the same age as yours and the white cover has started to peel on the panels. The couple that own the camper are in extreme heat though and I think that is what has caused it. It is just cosmetic though. The panels are still in great shape.

Ben,
I have the white paneling on my 2000 Ranger. I have minor peeling at the edges but the panels are in fine shape. I was thinking I would re-attach it with some spray adhesive but haven't gotten around to it. The fellow I bought mine from was from San Francisco so I figured it was from the humidity.
Jim

I'll have to go look for a mirror. I probably look like Grizzly Adams (or worse) stepping outside in the morning:D

Ben,

If your taking a tally, my '98 has the white end boards and are delaminating bad. In the case of the rear board, the board itself is sagging badly and will need to be replaced. I can only assume that since I bought mine out of Virginia, this damage is due to the almost constant high humidity in this area.

mirror

If you plan on getting a mirror for the back wall, get a thin light one. My first one was heavy and pulled the white film off the pannel some. Then on a hot day of being poped down it fell off. That one is now in the garage next to the deep sink. Get a light one!!!

Revised 4/10/2007 to include clearer details main post

Hi Ben,

Since there were details that were unclear and further questions, I edited the post to include them in one place.

Hope this helps your web page.

panel peeling

Jim,

Well that unproved my idea that it was the heat. I have to think now that the white cover just doesn't hold as well under different conditions as the darker material did for some reason.

I prefer the white interior from a sales point and it does help to brighten up the camper. Guess I will have to look for something different when we change our colors.

Your idea on some spray adhesive should work fine.

Thank you for the feed back on that also. I appreciate it.

panel

Warpath,

Thank you also for the feed back on the white panels. If your humidity is that high, I would suggest popping the camper up at least once a month when stored then to let it air out.

If you find condensation on the panels when you are camping, you should wipe them off. You don't have to get them completely dry, but wipe them down so that the moisture won't do the damage that it sounds like you have already inherited.

Regarding the artic Pac; I asked my uncle, a very conservative interior designer who does work mostly for conservative rich folks, to take a look inside my Keystone. Here is what he said;

1. He liked the plaid upholstery. He thought the fabric was excellent for the application and it would wear well.
2. The curtains should be replaced and made with plain off white material. They should hang one inch below the bottom of the window and should be cut out of twice as long a piece of fabric as the length they will hang, in order to make the curtains hang correctly and look nice.
3. The color of the artic pac liner should be the same color as the lightest color in the simulated wood panels. We thought of light brown cotton canvass duck as a possibility. It is tightly woven which would help create the air space needed for insulation, and can be selected of a material that will absorb moisture. With people sleeping in a cold tight space, moisture will gather from their breath.

What do you think of this information? I’m looking into new curtains and an artic Pac that is mostly to cover the gray vinyl boot. My uncle thought gray was not a good color for the interior.

John D,

Color would be a personal choice that you would be happy with.

I don't think you would want a material that would asorb moisture. It would take longer to dry out. That is where mold and bad smells would breed if left. Consider a material that would insulate and not asorb moisture.

Back
Top Bottom