Arctic Pack Material Type

dsrtrat

I have a All Terrain Panther that I bought used. In fact it is the one pictured in the picture on this web site. It now is on a 2007 Chevy Silverado.

With help from the great information and tips from these forums I have been working on some modifications.
I have modified the cabinet to include two slide out tables, modified the drawer, added yakima tracks and racks, installed a Fantastic roof vent and reinstalled the old vent in the bed area. I also made a roof lifting device.

Took a short trip last weekend and the 20 degree overnight temps convinced us that an arctic pac would be a good idea.
I searched the forums for information and think I can make one myself. A post by Ben said All Terrain used a non woven auto cover material that looks like it is made by Kimberly Clark.
There seem to be several choices in material but the pictures seem to indicate either the 380 series or Noah material.
Anyone know what type is used and where I can buy it?

Desertrat

Artic pack

I don't know the exact name of the material but it is the same as a Wolf Brand car cover. If you would like, I can send you a sample of the material or give me a call and I can probably call our supplier and find out exactly what it is for you.

Arctic Pack material

Thanks Ben,
I will give you a call in the next couple of days. I have a couple of other questions as well.

Desertrat

I will check to see what we are using thse days ?

This information below is what one of our sales guys put together a few years back.

I think it is accurate ?

Hope this helps

======================================================

The Arctic Pack - Evolution III Fabric by Kimberly Clark
A 100% polypropylene nonwoven fabric (olefin fiber)

History

Italy began producing olefin fibers in 1957. The United States began producing olefin in 1960. Depending upon its chemical structure, olefin may be called polyethylene or polypropylene. It is also referred to as P2 for short.

Production

Olefin is produced in much the same way as polyester and nylon. The chemicals used to make olefin are melted and fed through a spinneret head (similar to a large showerhead) where it then forms a long fiber. The fiber then solidifies by some cooling process. Variations and additives used during the manufacturing process of fibers can alter the characteristics and end uses of the fibers tremendously.

Characteristics:

Aesthetics – The luster and texture of olefin can be modified to fit the end use. It is usually manufactured with a smooth texture and medium luster.

Good abrasion resistance

Dries quickly and carries moisture away from the skin

Resistant to degradation by chemicals, perspiration, mildew and weather

Stain resistant – Olefin is not affected by most chemicals; consequently, it is not easily soiled or stained.

Excellent strength – The strength of olefin can be modified to fit the end use.

Colorfast – Olefin holds its bright colors well and is resistant to fading. Carpets made of olefin have been proven to have fade resistant properties of almost three times the industry standard.

Lightweight – The low density of olefin makes it possible to manufacture lightweight products that are highly durable. Olefin is the lightest textile fiber.

Environmentally Friendly – The production of olefins leave very little waste byproducts or residue. Olefin is easier to recycle than most other fibers. Olefin, in its basic form, is made into packaging materials. These materials are easily melted and reused. Tyvek ProtectiveWear by DuPont is an olefin material that is 25% recycled. Because olefin is usually solution dyed, the environmental problems related to dye chemicals do not exist. Oelfin is actually beneficial to the environment through its use in erosion control fabrics.

Very low moisture absorbency – Waterborne stains are not a problem, due to olefin’s nonabsorbency.

Very low static electricity problems – This characteristic makes it an excellent choice for office furniture coverings, carpets and automobile interiors.

Good thermal retention - Lining made of olefin helps keep you warm by trapping the air in the space between the layers. On the other hand, olefin also keeps you cool in the summer.

Excellent Resiliency – Olefin recovers very quickly from wrinkling.

Excellent Shape Retention – The attractive appearance of olefin lasts for years.

Care

Eventhough olefin has a low melting point. This factor limits its use in apparel fabrics. Fabrics made of olefin should be spot cleaned or washed in warm or cold water. Olefin fabrics should be air dried or dried at low temperatures. If ironing is needed, a low temperature setting should be chosen.

Teasing shouldn't be allowed

I have modified the cabinet to include two slide out tables, modified the drawer, added yakima tracks and racks, installed a Fantastic roof vent and reinstalled the old vent in the bed area. I also made a roof lifting device.

Desertrat

Hey Desertrat,
don't tease us here! If you mention modifications you have to post a few pics too. Share the joy and show us what you did, please.

Evolution III Fabric Retailer??

Does anyone know of a retail supplier for the Evolution III Fabric by Kimberly Clark that's used in the Arctic Pack??

Thanks!
'birds

I bet this would work great and its cheap! $6.99 at Harbor Fright! for 72 x 60.

Attachments

• blanket.jpg
    blanket.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 256
I bet this would work great and its cheap! $6.99 at Harbor Fright! for 72 x 60.

Jay,

From a dry-weather insulation standpoint I think the moving blankets would be better insulation than the regular arctic pack material and probably a lot cheaper (if I can find a supplier for the Evolution III stuff I'll know for sure!)

We're adding an inch of ensolite foam around as much of the interior of the pop-up as we can (might try for 1/2" behind the top support panels if we can get around the wiring). The ensolite is both thermal and sound insulation as well as relatively non water permeable. Hopefully it will reduce heat loss, noise and condensation. The Evolution III would add just a little more insulation (and make it look pretty for the girls:thumb:).

If the Omaha Oracle is right and the economy keeps tanking and taking my retirement with it we may just be knocking on Harbor Fright's door though.

I found this on a search for medical equipment/fabric. No idea if they sell retail/etc. but unlike Kimberely Clark, seem to be located in the USA...

http://www.eastexproducts.com/medical.asp#griptek

FWC might also be a source(?)

good luck

mtn

Mtn,

Checked out the site and didn't find the Evolution III fabric but I know it's been used to make surgical gowns (as well as covers for classic cars)...I'll look a little closer. They do have Velcro-like stuff and I'm going to need some of that too so it could be a good source even if they don't have the AP material.

I've been bugging Stan and Chicali about so many different things that I hate to add another one (but will if I can't come up with another source). Shipping to Juneau is a problem for folks that aren't set up for it and I'd probably have to wait until I could get to FWC to pick it (and some western oak plywood) up.

Thanks for the suggestions!
'birds

Back
Top Bottom