Atwood Heater and propane usage.

buckland

Site Team
I have searched but my question's answer being at best a 'WAG', ballpark, guess-timate I assume it's a probably unworthy but hell why not ask. Having not done winter camper trips and by winter I mean cold, I was wondering how long a 10 pound propane tank lasts.... I know ... too many variables.

But say it is 32 degrees (F) balmy for the most part. And say the thermostat was set at 48...just for 8 hours. How many days would one go on a tank? As FWC have 20 pounds... I was trying to figure how long I could stay out? Daytime temps could be 50. We do not have a thermal pack. That way I can p-lan my route in Big Bend with an eye on propane stations.

We dont have a furnace nor fixed propane tank so cannot offer any help.

IF you camper has the velcro hanging strip at sides you might want even a wool blanket hanging from it at ....it really seems to impact inside comfort in the cold.

Some older wool blankets will stick to the velcro.

David Graves

Thanks not a bad idea. I used to have old brown army wool blankets and they were real warm ... I'll check online and see if there are any Army/Navy stores ...used to be so many!

I'll tell you what Rob, one of the best things I ever bought for my old 2004 Grandby was that thermal pack. I learned my lesson not to many years after I bought it when I spent a couple of very very cold January nights at the Border Town RV Park in Reno. Nevada. Back then I had a Aus.Shep/Lab Mix named Babe who had bone cancer and the Reno Pet Hospital was going to cut off one of her legs so she could may be make another year. The temps were running in the 0-10 degree range in Reno and we had had lots of snow so I planned to drive up from Susanville the night before and take Babe to the vet in the morning. I pulled in to the park and tried to pop the top but the snow on the roof had frozen solid and I needed ever tool I had to break the roof free. That night I used the thermostat for the first time and set it to around 60 or so and besides not getting much sleep because of it coming on and off all the time it used up about half of the propane in the tank. By the time I got home a few days later I was almost out of propane. I ordered a thermal pack not to much after that. ....and like several others on this site, I learned that you never had to take it out because it worked great in hot weather too! Babe survived the operation and we had eight more months to explore her favorite places.

We had a thread here several years ago that discussed how long a tank should last-about a week depending on what you used it for (also a good argument for solar). If I planned to be really out in the boonies longer, I carried a second tank.

Smoke

Rob, this spring we were in Utah and it got cold out... 25* or so, over night. We only used the furnace at night. Grandby with thermal pack. 3 days and the tank was empty. YMMV.

Summer use, which can still involve some heater use if you're at high altitude, I'll make it all summer on one tank. Making coffee, barbecuing etc. Of course I have the larger horizontal tank.

Vic I have been going back and forth on the thermal pack even tried a modified home made... screw it ...I called FWC as I had already done all the measurements and asked the turn over time and was very happily told 3-4 weeks... so I will order the pack and be done with it. I am sure it will help as those vinyl sides get frosty and radiate the cold. I have to say again as I am gearing up for our first real wander ( Alaska, Yukon, Labrador.... they all were more predetermined) So I am getting excited in the planning general locales with highlighted must sees... mostly just want to avoid people! I have gotten some great leads from WTW folks and I am building the library. It really seems like my dad said... "sometimes you just have to test the depth of water with both feet".

Our 6 week wander this spring was awesome. Maybe 6 nights in campgrounds? I did a lot of google earth zooming to find sites. Others do the same, but being there in off season makes a big difference too. Even the camp grounds were largely empty. Have fun!

We have ordered the thermal liner... egads $... should have bought it 11 years ago ... but I can't sew worth a hoot so I guess that's that.
Yes I made a shower bag gizmo that attaches to the jack stand mounts, holds a solar shower that I also pour in heated water. It has worked fine for us. The more I think I'll not use the water tank. It will have been winterized and I will bring a hose to clear it out in March should the weather turn warm. but we will rely on suitcase 6 water boxes ... 2 1/2 gallon each ... (having lived with our own spring water well at home I just can't drink tap water unless desperate). So store bought water will have to do I suspect a gallon a day per person while remote?

I own a third 10 pounder tank ...fill and take along? ( my Eagle model has two 10 lb tanks)

I spend many nights in my AT Bobcat every winter - often in teens and an occasional single digit morning. I rarely run the heater in the evening ( ski until almost sundown, eat dinner wearing long underwear and a sweater, get into bed with a mug of hot tea and a book - in a down bag beneath a comforter with a dog) ) and don't turn it back on until maybe 5 am and run it for maybe two hours before I take off to ski again. I do not have a reefer or anything else that runs on propane and a full tank can last me almost a year. I do have the insulating lining.

So a gallon of Propane has 91,452 BTUs / hr. Our Atwood furnace uses 16,000 BTU / hr input. The normal 20# tank holds about 4.2gal.

91452 x 4.2 ÷ 16,000 (use your number here) = 24 hours of running time heater only. Your mileage may vary!

We also use ours for cooking and hot water. With no room for another tank I wish I had a better gauge for the tank.

2Z Thanks for that... straight forward math and I realize there are a lot of variables that will change the outcome but it is a good ballpark to have. We cook and will use heater at night. I have two 10 pound tanks (so each 2.1 gallons approx.) in the box and carry a third 10 pound tank. The one in use has a gauge but it also is not super accurate (temp and elevation). But with your formula with 30 pounds it would have at the least 36 hours run time. As the heater comes on and off at night and cooking I can see I will have to either ration the heat or run out of propane for 9 days out in winter in Texas. I do not like the sound of the heater cycling on and off while sleeping so will probably run it before bed and then just bundle up. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom