Austin TX

Jamesiam

Well I find myself possibly moving into a new position in the company and that will entail moving from Reno to Austin TX. I will hate moving from the proximity of the California coast, and the height of the Sierras but life will continue. My question is how is the wandering and outdoor feel of Austin TX, anyone familiar with the area? Is there a bit of hiking and outdoor places to venture to? Any feed back would be appreciated.

Well I find myself possibly moving into a new position in the company and that will entail moving from Reno to Austin TX. I will hate moving from the proximity of the California coast, and the height of the Sierras but life will continue. My question is how is the wandering and outdoor feel of Austin TX, anyone familiar with the area? Is there a bit of hiking and outdoor places to venture to? Any feed back would be appreciated.

I'm from the Houston area, James. Austin's weird, and they intend to keep it that way.

You're close to 'Hill Country' and also 'The Grand Canyon of Texas'. OK, so the hills and the canyons aren't bigger here.

You're also moving closer to the Gulf of Mexico and Cajun country. I never knew anything 'bout Cajun and now I can cook it.

Maybe see you 'round...

Big Bend and Guadalupe Mountains National Parks are a day's drive to the west. There are also some interesting TX state parks out that way.

View from South Rim of the Chisos Mountains in Big Bend NP:
gallery_172_58_248064.jpg

Guadalupe Peak, the highest point in Texas:
gallery_172_91_160771.jpg

Mr. Ingalls that was the first thing I noticed, the proximity to Louisiana and immediately thought road trips to the Bayou and Cajun food!

Mark that first pic is my favorite out of the two, I love those formations in the distance, also that second photo doesn't look like an easy hike, although with the difference in elevation from the Sierras I'll slay those hills. It won't be a 15 minute drive to hike like here (Mt. Rose) but as long as there's open space in the area I'll be okay.

Thanks for the feedback guys

Mark that first pic is my favorite out of the two, I love those formations in the distance, also that second photo doesn't look like an easy hike, although with the difference in elevation from the Sierras I'll slay those hills. It won't be a 15 minute drive to hike like here (Mt. Rose) but as long as there's open space in the area I'll be okay.

James, that formation to the left is the Elephant Tusk (5,200ft); the Rio Grande is way in the distance, hidden by the smog. The photo was taken from about 7500ft and is about 11 mile round trip and 2000ft of elevation gain from the campground.

Mount Rose is about 10 miles round trip with 2100 ft of elevation gain and Guadalupe Peak is 8.5 miles with 3000ft of gain by the regular trails. I've hiked Mt Rose maybe 20 times and Guadalupe once, but I'd say Guadalupe is the more strenuous.

There is vary little "open space" in TX--almost no BLM and a bit of Forest Service land in the east. The state is mostly private and fenced except for the state and national parks.

Back
Top Bottom