Auxiliary LED Lighting underneath Bed Overhang

jlrray

Advanced Member
I was considering wiring some LED lights on the exterior of my camper, underneath the pull-out bed. One on each side of the camper. Any suggestions on how to hook this up so I don't drain the house battery? I think it would be used primarily when the car is running. Here's what I have in mind more or less. I thought someone around here tried it, but couldn't find the thread anymore.

Joe

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 4.23.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 4.23.25 PM.png
    97 KB · Views: 176
Do you have a bed light on your truck? I would tap into that.

I am (have been) considering doing the same...hooking up lights on both sides with a control switch inside near the bunk. Can't seem to initiate interest from those with experience and expertise in this area. I know you're out there :) Also, what is a bed light? Is this just a wired light above the bed in addition to the lights over the kitchen area?

By "bed light" I believe what is being referred to is the clear light at the top-rear of the cab that can be used to illuminate the truck's bed area. I think tapping into that circuit is a great idea if it can be done in a weather-sealed manner. Unless you also need/want to be able to turn them on from inside the camper. Then it needs to be a little more creative of a solution. To prevent weird issues I think it's a two relay situation. Either a series or a parallel wiring of those relays can be made to work.

I like under the 'eve' of the over-hang as it's more out of the going down the road wind, but it could block some of the area lit up.

Just to clarify, with wireless remote relay, one installs lights that are wireless capable. The wires from the lights are wired to the battery, so there is no need for interior switches...the hand held remote devices turns lights on/off...? Is this correct?

Thank you!

The RM02 is a wireless relay with a receiver and short wire antenna. This unit is wired into the battery to light circuit. When you push the key-fob button, it transmits a signal to the receiver to turn on the relay. The relay turns on to complete the light circuit. Push the key-fob button to turn it off.

It can wire into existing or new lights. No need to have wireless lights. You could wire the relay into your furnace thermostat so that you can turn the furnace on without getting up on those cold mornings. :)

Or wire it into the rear floods for awesome backup lights.

Paul

In casting about for a small LED light to replace a rear flood light, I ran onto a one I think I'll try. Mine will be a simple swap-out but I thought of this thread as I checked out the (optional) wiring harness.

I"m posting because It was helpful to see the harness components (switch, relay, wire connectors, etc) and compare a direct-to-battery installation with my planned installation. And then it was helpful to see a remote keyfob option, in this case one that simply plugs into the manual-switch wire.

The link below leads to the light but then click on the optional harness. Once you've checked that out, then click on the remote key fob. I thought the videos helpful, in that they helped me think about things like having a cover for the keyfob buttons if I were to go with that option some time in the future.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/mini-auxiliary-lights/3-square-15-watt-led-mini-auxiliary-work-light/2054/4283/#/tab/Accessories

-OC

PS- I really, really like how extensive the listings are on superbrightled's web site. Color temps on the lights, electrical draws, illustrations with dimensions, installation instructions, functions of each button on the remote, programming instructions, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom