Awning/Canopy Ideas?

ymc2272

Hi, new to the forum, very happy to find out about it. I recently spent 4 weeks in the High Sierras of California, living out of my Eagle camper. Mosquitoes can be very bad up there, especially in July, so I bought a 10x10 canopy and duct-taped it to the rear of the camper. This worked fairly well in the windless mountains. However, I'm planning a trip to Baja, where the wind is gauranteed on a daily basis, and I am wondering if anyone has devised a more sturdy system. I've thought of perhaps using the jack-stands on the rear to bolt in some 1" piping, then build from there, throw some heavy-duty netting over the whole thing.

Another question, this one regarding the solar power system. I noticed that when both my solar panel system and alternator-driven system were hooked up to the auxiliary battery, I was loosing juice. Is it possible that the brain of the car or something in the engine circuit was sapping my battery?

Thanks, glad to be a member here.

Yes Baja is winding!! That why we go there to windsurf. 3/4 piping is what I use with sun shade screen for wind block. The screen doesn't flap! You can see the photo the windblock is at the back of the camper.

Attachments

• wind block.jpg
    wind block.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 599
I've never had a problem with bugs in Baja. Sometimes a few gnats in San Ignacio but never anything close to July in the Sierras. I've also seen people hang screen walls from their awning but that wouldn't stand up to a Baja wind.

I too would be interested in how to make and attatch an awninig to one side of the FWC or the other. Once the main canopy is constructed I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to engineer some side shades if the need arrises.
Jay

Back
Top Bottom