Back to Nevada!

ski3pin - Let me be the first to congratulate you -- another hit of a trip!
smile.gif

That is a great report. Too bad its gonna be month before I can get out again. Reports like this put the itch in me !

Fantastic! I have really grown to love Nevada as well. Part of the allure is it seems nobody I talk to has ever been to any of the places I am describing to them. One of our last frontiers. Looking forward to the next report!

You guys really amassed some wonderful photos on this trip...amazing sunset shots. Loved the pic of the hunting blinds too and your last camp...boy, that is our kind of spot. Glad you were able to find solitude on such a big weekend, Northern Nevada calls.

More great story telling, Ski. And sublime photos as usual. I don't know if it's the scenery, the camera or the photog. Maybe it's all three, :D a Grand Slam.

Adding this to the Bucket List.

Great report 3pin! Glad to see you and the Lady made it back to the Toiyabes, one of my favorite places. I'm happy to see that not much has change since I was first there one November a few years ago:

Heading to Arc Dome
gallery_172_14_247742.jpg

View from Arc Dome's Summit
gallery_172_14_155082.jpg

Great report.

You guys are going to ruin it for the Nevadans, everyone knows we are nothing but a barren wasteland, nothing to see here. But then you go and post those kind of pics and blow the whole perception that we have tried hard to portray. :cool:

Jack

“Incredible! I guess this is how he must have earned the ‘Magellan’ nickname!” the Lady exclaimed

Oh, if only that were the case. It is actually just the opposite. The name comes from driving into places I shouldn't. And, worse yet, it has become prophetic.

Of course, another fantastic trip report from Ski and The Lady. We get out a lot, and still your reports make me feel like a homebody. Great stuff and great photos. You two amaze me.

Made me homesick. Great report, great photos. I have hiked, llama packed and horse packed in the Toiyabe Range, it is one of my favorite places. Regarding the road to Ophir. Last time I went up from the west, one could have driven a Buick up the road. Just east of the crest on the north slope there is a large snow bank that lasts well into summer. In fact, I have been there in July and the snow bank blocked the road.

Here are some photos of Stew and llamas.
northtwinllamas.JPG

columbinepass.jpg

northtwinllamacreek.JPG

Thank you all for the very kind comments. These trips are so much fun it is nice to have this outlet for sharing. Nevada is such a special place, every time we go out we feel like we are just scratching the surface and always seeing/finding something/someplace we want to come back and explore further. And then think, there's Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming.............................!

And then think, there's Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming.............................!

For me, the difference is that Nevada's special-ness isn't as obvious as those other states' high spots, so doesn't attract as many tourists (outside of that evil growth at its southern tip
rolleyes.gif
).

For me, the difference is that Nevada's special-ness isn't as obvious as those other states' high spots, so doesn't attract as many tourists (outside of that evil growth at its southern tip
rolleyes.gif
).

Hey Mr. BC, I've been giving your response some thought. Perhaps Nevada's specialness, lack of obviousness, few visitors - it's appeal to minimalist travelers like WTWers, can be summed up in "remote and vast". It takes effort, and that's good for us.

It is really a place to get away from it all and it has so much to offer.

Mr. locrwin, thanks for the reminder. I do need to add several barren wasteland photos to our Nevada travel stories. :rolleyes:

gallery_1902_325_198946.jpg

More great story telling, Ski. And sublime photos as usual. I don't know if it's the scenery, the camera or the photog. Maybe it's all three, :D a Grand Slam.

Adding this to the Bucket List.

You know, in some ways it was bringing back the past, seeing this trip report-I spent allot of my undergrad and in between time working in this country, Edwards Creek and the Desatoyas, i loved every second of it, during the early 70's and seeing this brings back all those memories. I know i'll get back there again-despite my trekking in Oregon of late, and 30 years of working in NE Ca and NW Nevada, i know the old bar in Austin is still there-two old friends have been there of late and say its still there, but like other places in Nevada, may go under-understand they have an RV park there now. Wrote my first Archaeology survey and excavations reports there-a house structure. Ahhh-memories, but now i'm retired and have my 4wheel camper and "bob" the lucky rattlesnake bit dog-just got off the phone with my old army buddy, been up at the NP east of here-said no one was there and it was great-maybe its time to go back!

Back
Top Bottom