Back up camera

Kilroy

The other day I noticed that Wal-mart is selling a wireless back up camera with a 2 inch monitor for $99. The camera is designed to bolt on to license plate mount. Any one using this set up?

I bought a similar backup camera from Costco, I think it was $89. A problem is that the camera bracket is very flimsy plastic and my wife pointed out that it would be soon broken because we use the bumper as a step and it would be in an area sure to be kicked or stepped on. Also I use a hitch receiver rack to carry my inflatable boat and the boat would obstruct the camera’s view. Another shortcoming is that with its wide angle camera lens I found it difficult to judge distance (just like distance can be difficult to judge with wide angle passenger side outside mirrors). I did mount it to the right lower corner of my camper but it didn’t give a good close up down low view. Next time I go camping I am going to give it another try mounted above the door pointed backwards and down with an adjustable bracket. Hopefully this will give me a better sense of depth and include my bumper or rack. It does have a very wide angle of view and I think very good low light sensitivity (it is adjustable). I wired the camera power into the 5 prong trailer harness, instead of using the backup light connection for power I used the running light connection, that way I could turn it on without having to shift into reverse by just switching on the running lights

Thanks. I was thinking of a mounting place such as you described. Sure would be good to be able to see back there sometimes. Let us know how it works out.

Boat Trailer

Homemade,

You mentioned in your post towing an inflatable boat trailer. I am an avid rafter and want to be able to transport boats. But once I put an FWC on my Toyota T-100 I won't have any room for boats and frames so I'll have to use a trailer. What truck are you pulling it with? What size engine? and how does your truck do with camper and trailer?

I don't pull a trailer (hate pulling stuff). I use a commonly available simple steel hitch receiver rack (costco.com has a nice aluminum one that can be folded up out of the way, if I was buying one now I would look at it closer). They usually can carry about 500# and are a good platform to strap inflatables on. My truck is a F-350 diesel and handles loads without problems but a half ton truck might sag some in the back with the weight so far back, depends on the weight you carry.

Back
Top Bottom