Baja 2010

telebrewer

Advanced Member
I finally have a little time to get some trip reports up.

We went down to Baja during Thanksgiving break. We hadn't been down for 2 1/2 years because of all the cartel violence. Plus we have two little guys now and things get put in a different perspective.

We got our visas stamped early A.M. and got directly on the toll road to Ensenada. In Maneadero we were detoured because of a huge parade that closed the highway down. It turns out it was Mexican Independence day. Bicentennial Independence day. Every town we came to had a parade going on. They shut down the highway for these. We found some side roads and arroyos to get around some. And others we had to wait. This set us back of our plan to make it to L A bay in one day. After El Rosario, smooth sailing. We pulled in at dusk to Dagget's camp just for one night while the full moon was rising. My wife and I were so happy to be in Baja again.

The next day we packed up headed south a bit to a secluded beach a friend told me of. Got stuck up to the frame because my FWD wasn't working. It turned out, I had a new steering box put in right before we left and the guy knocked the vacuum connection off the vacuum pump. I traced it back from the axle, put didn't go far enough to find the problem. I had my transfer case rebuilt about a month before and I thought something had gone wrong in there. So after a three hour dig out, we landed on hard ground and popped up. A beautiful white sand beach with not a person in sight. Just what we love about Baja.

The second night the wind came up. I didn't think it was that windy. Well it blew one of our kayaks into the gulf. The next morning when the wind died, we saw it with binoculars about five miles out. Way too far to go and pick it up. We watched it as the wind picked up from the north start heading south. We said "bye bye" kayak and learned once again to secure your stuff in Baja. Years ago I saw the wind take an aluminum boat with an outboard on it and flip it down the beach like it was a piece of paper. So we ran into my friend a couple days later and told him about our loss. He said a kayak washed up at someone's house in the south end of the bay. We went down and found the guy. He said he told the police a kayak washed up in case it may have been an accident. He said the police took it for evidence. So we went into town and there it was in the police yard. After a lot of questions and identifying marks on it, we got it back. The last thing the guy said in perfect english when we were leaving was "take care of your stuff" Ya, don't worry that will never happen again. Just another Baja story.

On the way home we camped down the arroyos north of El Rosario on the Pacific. I believe it was km 41. Nice place. Good waves but a little chilly. Our next trip down is in Feb. to see the whales in Scammon's lagoon. We would like someone to travel with. Anyone out there interested? We leave Feb. 13th.

http://picasaweb.google.com/114630261875012854928/Baja2010#

Nice story and glad you got the kayak back. Photos I enjoyed and the God Beams are great! DD use this one some place.

DSC_0332.JPG

Orale!
Great TR, with superb photos.
Love your rig, TB--that bumper is hondo.
Haven't been south in nearly three months and it hurts.

Nice story and glad you got the kayak back. Photos I enjoyed and the God Beams are great! DD use this one some place.

DSC_0332.JPG

x2 :)

Out of curiosity for you Baja travelers, is it feasible to head down there if you don't read or speak Spanish or are you setting yourself up for a tough time?

Out of curiosity for you Baja travelers, is it feasible to head down there if you don't read or speak Spanish or are you setting yourself up for a tough time?

It helps but you will be fine without, bring a spanish dictionary and call it good. There are so many snowbirds down there right now that don't speak a lick of spanish and they do just fine.

It helps but you will be fine without, bring a spanish dictionary and call it good. There are so many snowbirds down there right now that don't speak a lick of spanish and they do just fine.

Roger. It was mainly a future (dreaming :p ) question. Also I have a young'n now and in future years I'm wondering about learning a second language with him at the same time. Not sure what would be most beneficial though. Obviously Spanish is useful in travel and if you're dealing with a certain labor segment in the US these days. But don't know if another language would be more useful abroad and/or in terms of a business asset.

Like Sunman said, it helps. But that doesn't mean you need to be fluent either. I was surprised how much of my high school Spanish came back to me after spending a week in Baja. Sure, I made mistakes and the English/Spanish dictionary was necessary more often than not. But being able to ask directions or read a menu and knowing how to be polite will get you pretty far. You can learn that much in one class at a local junior college.

Thanks for the TR Telebrewer. I enjoyed the photos and the stories. Wish we could join you in February. It's been years since we did a Baja trip. I just need to stop taking days off here and there so I can save up some vacation time. Maybe another time. :(

Back
Top Bottom