Baja or Bust...

sdmarkus

Advanced Member
The Mrs. and I have a few weeks off later this month and we're thinking about wandering to the tip and back, having been inspired by Sunman's and many other TR over the years:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/3594-baja-a-trip-to-the-tip/

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/4406-my-top-4-camp-spots-in-baja/

I've never been south of Erendira, so any beta would be most appreciated. Definately hoping to bag some waves, explore and spend quality time with the wife and dog.

Any suggestions? Lay it on me baby! :)
Many thanks,

Mark

Three weeks? Wow, that gives you plenty of time to stop and smell the roses along the way. It's gonna be hot as heck now but we did Agua Verde recently, amazing place, fishing should be off the charts. You also probably shouldn't miss Bahia Los Frailes on the East Cape after you are surfed out. Enjoy.

Thanks Sunman, I was wondering if the weather would be a factor. Perhaps better to save this mission for earlier or later in the season?

Any recommended guide books or things of that nature? How do I avoid the "dreaded north road"? :D

I have found that Cabo San Quintin to be a interesting place. Look for it on a map, it is West of San Quintin. You will drive on the sand for almost 10 miles. Very remote, very beautiful. Pismo clams are for the taking. There is a surf place there too. Don't know your rig, but if you have good clearance and good 4wd and a real spirit of adventure, go to Mission San Miguel, East of Catavenia. Quite possibly the worst 14 mile road you will ever travel, but the pools or water and palm trees at the end are just spectacular. For surfing, Walls, North of Guerro Negro is good. Windy, but the deeper you camp on the point, and it is a very long one, the better the weather. Bay of L.A., Punta La Gringa, about 10 miles North. Excellent camping, excellent clams for the taking. There is a turtle rescue/rehabilitation center there, very, very funky, but I still leave a few $$ in the can. If more comes to mind, I will post. Good luck, have fun.

Thanks 12Valve, sounds like gold right there! May save this mission for the fall given the weather but we're hittin' the road in a few days either way...

Back
Top Bottom