Baja

dsrtrat

Just back from 18 days in Baja. The ATC Panther was great. Everyone was friendly and food was good. Should have stayed longer. Don't worry about safety just go.
Dsrtrat

Attachments

• Baja 2009 049 1.jpg
    Baja 2009 049 1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 359
  • Baja 2009 033 1.jpg
    Baja 2009 033 1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 384
  • Baja 2009 0101.jpg
    Baja 2009 0101.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 402
Mr Desert Rat, where in Baja did you go? What did you do ?
I need details for my ciber vaction.Looks like you went prepaired with kyak and trailer.
Thanks for posting

Baja Details

It was about 7 years since I was last in Baja so it was time to look around again. We crossed at Tecate going both ways to avoid Tijuana and stopped South of San Quintin our first night staying at the EL Pabellon campground.
Stopped in El Rosario for gas and food and then on to Santa Rosalillita for the night. I was surprised to see that the road to Santa Rosalillita was paved and they are building a yacht harbor there.
Moved to Bahia Asuncion for a couple of days and then to San Ignacio for some whale watching in the lagoon.
From there we went south of Mulege and hung out for a while at Playa Escondida and Playa El Requeson on Bahia Conception.
Kayaked a bit and then went over to the Peninsular Vizcaino for a few days exploring the backroads and was surprised that the road to Punta Abreojos was paved almost all the way to town.
Went over to Laguna Ojo de Liebre for a couple of days before heading back to the border.
Sad to see the folks that rely on the tourists for a large part of their income having such a hard time, most places were almost empty. Great folks wherever we went.
Next trip we plan on spending most of our time over on the Pacific side of the Peninsular Vizcaino exploring some of the harder to get to places. Camper and truck worked fine, Engel fridge was great, 65 watt solar panel kept up with the fridge fine.

Baja Pictures

Here are a couple more pictures

Attachments

• Baja 2009 032 1.jpg
    Baja 2009 032 1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 305
  • Baja 2009 056 1.jpg
    Baja 2009 056 1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 296
I knew you had some more pics :D

Did you by chance meet Juan and Shari in Bahia Asuncion at the Blowhole B&B??

Makes me pine for a trip south. I love the tentrax trailer used as a support trailer - usually see them behind a jeep or small suv. I have a few trailers & we often take one on shorter trips - maybe we'll have to consider it for a longer trip also. It sure would be nice not to have to unload all the junk just to pop the top & make lunch if the weather is bad. Glad you had a safe & enjoyable trip & great pics.
Doug

Trailer and Bahia Asuncion

We didn't see Juan and Sharri but stopped by. No one was home so we went north of town and camped on the beach around San Roque. I have heard Ron and Sharri are great people to get to know. I wasn't fishing this trip, maybe next time.
I was really surprised how much things are changing in Baja. Lots more development going on. Met some people who were working for Wild Coasts who are working to preserve some of the coastal areas from over development.
Fewer of the snowbird RV type folks in the more built up areas, but still some around. Lots of palapas are gone from the beaches, many were not rebuilt after the storms.

I just bought the trailer in December. I picked it up used but have mixed feelings about it. Nice to have the extra space but we decided we could have just as easily gone without it. I don't need the tent feature with the ATC and pulling it around on the backroads is kind of a pain if you want to explore much. Never know where you can turn it around.
Nicely designed trailer, pulls well, well made. Just thought I would try it out this trip. If you had more than two people it would be great to have the extra sleeping and gear space. Here is a picture with the tent up.
Dsrtrat

Attachments

• Baja 2009 009 1.jpg
    Baja 2009 009 1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 269
  • Baja 2009 043 1.jpg
    Baja 2009 043 1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 276
Whales

There were about 20 whales in the lagoon when we were there. We were pretty early in the season. We went out with Antonio Aguilar and saw several females with calves. Antonio is trying to start a Ecotour business on his property. Great food at their resturant, Maria served us a great fish dinner. I highly recommend both the tour and the resturant. You can camp on the property at the lagoon as well.
Hope it works out for them.
We went out again when we were at Laguna Ojo de Liebre. The local communal land holding folks have built a visitors center with a resturant.
You can camp at some nice sites on their property. Saw more whales on this tour as it was later in the season. Nice place to stay for a couple of days and the resturant was pretty good as well.
Dsrtrat

Attachments

• Baja 2009 069 1.jpg
    Baja 2009 069 1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 152
Back
Top Bottom