Bamboo Rods - The Life Cycle

Thanks for posting.
I have an old bamboo rod and a couple graphite. There is a shop near where I live called Thomas & Thomas. When I was 18 I went there and it was just a whole in the wall... the man let me wander around and look at the workshop. He knew I was not able to buy one. Just before I left he handed me a rod and said it was a 'second' as a seam had split tho it had been 'fixed' he couldn't sell it. I still have it hanging on my mudroom wall.
https://thomasandthomas.com/pages/our-history

That's cool.That company sure has grown.
I also have a T&T,When I became a life member
of TU back in 2005 they sent me a 9'T&T with a Ross reel.
I don't use it much as most of the water I fish are small streams.
I like my custom7' bamboo.
The T&T is a great rod though.
Do you ever use the T&T?
Frank

I have. It is a bit stiff for trout out east... it is now a wall piece I enjoy looking at though with a shot of a landed square tail.

A timely post! Seeing as how I recently received a vintage Hardy bamboo rod from a UK dealer, and am looking forward to putting it to work in what will be unfamiliar territory.

50278978253_bb7b6529ff_c.jpg

I assume that is a two tip rod. Looks great!

I’ve never fished a Hardy rod, but love their reels. I still have a Hardy Marquis set up for a 7wt. I still would like to find a vintage Perfect.

Beautiful rod. My bamboo rod was custom made for a friend many years ago.
After he died his wife gave me the rod.I have had great fun with it.
Being a 7' 2 piece rod it works well on small water even with brush around.

Haven't been out yet this year,(guess why).
Hopefully next year will be better in all ways.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Beautiful rod. My bamboo rod was custom made for a friend many years ago.
After he died his wife gave me the rod.I have had great fun with it.
Being a 7' 2 piece rod it works well on small water even with brush around.

Haven't been out yet this year,(guess why).
Hopefully next year will be better in all ways.
Frank

That is a special gift and a special responsibility.

wile not bamboo, one of my covid projects last winter was an epic 5 wt, 8' , fiberglass rod. i went the kit route, and they sent silk thread. oh, boy, that thread is fine/thin !!! i could have used some magnifying glasses. rod turned out great, and the action suits me fine. the glass is an interesting yellow color.
good fishing
go

If I don’t need a lot of reach, I will use a glass Sci Angler 9’ 7wt for steelhead. It has a medium soft action that is fun with a good size fish on the end of the line.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
If I don’t need a lot of reach, I will use a glass Sci Angler 9’ 7wt for steelhead. It has a medium soft action that is fun with a good size fish on the end of the line.
hey bro ! most all rods are good with a good sized fish on the end of the line !!
is this too early for the ronde ?
i did the ronde years ago at thxgiving and had some good times. though it was freezing.... took awhile to figure it out. with the cold, the fish were not spectacular fighters.. great place.

goinoregon said:
hey bro ! most all rods are good with a good sized fish on the end of the line !!
is this too early for the ronde ?
i did the ronde years ago at thxgiving and had some good times. though it was freezing.... took awhile to figure it out. with the cold, the fish were not spectacular fighters.. great place.
We are new (still unpacking) to this area, so can’t answer questions on the Grande Ronde. I grew up on the Rogue, above Dodge.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
We are new (still unpacking) to this area, so can’t answer questions on the Grande Ronde. I grew up on the Rogue, above Dodge.
well, here is some very cheap inside info on ronde. i did the winter fishing only once, at thxgiving. best results were upstream of troy, and i used some sinking line, but who knows what fly. probably redish. got into em, but nothing like playing a summer/fall fish. better than staying home though... but who knows, by the time they get that far, maybe we are better leaving them alone ? but there are hatchery fish. i think
change up
the drift from minam to troy is great, if u are into that kind of thing

Back
Top Bottom