Bandlier National Monument Closed

Rough going indeed. At least there are evacuation centers and support for the Los Alamos evacuees now. This is another case where you see the best in human nature. Lots of folks are opening there homes to take in people, pets, etc.

There were flights today to take air samples to make sure there is no radioactive component to the smoke (there shouldn't be - they are just being cautious).

I heard that they moved some antiquities out of the Bandelier visitor center to be safe.

I also heard that the fire may have been caused by a downed power line, but that is unconfirmed. Updates are here:

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/2385/

In the meantime, there's another fire (lightning caused) in the Sacramento Mountains about seven miles south of my house, and two more lightning-caused fires in the Capitan mountains and near Hondo.

Yikes, we drove by the fire almost immediately after it started. We were looking at the other fire by Santa Fe and then saw the smaller and new fire towards Los Alamos early Sunday afternoon. We have been North of Creede escaping the heat for a few days but am starting to head back. Dry in S CO but still lots of snow at high elevations. Oddly I am sitting next to the camper, connect to the net, at 10,147', just West of Wolf Creek Pass. had to put. My jacket on!

I'd be keen to see some photos any of you have captured. My cousin in Santa Fe sent me some great shots yesterday. It's not a sight I've ever seen with my own eyes. Stay safe.

Valles Caldera.jpg This is bad news!

"Since starting last week, the Las Conchas fire quickly expanded into the Santa Fe National Forest and Jemez Ranger District. It spread rapidly due to strong winds, high temperatures and dry conditions that have similarly fueled dozens of other fires around the region. The fire has since engulfed much of the national forest, the Valles Caldera National Preserve and Bandelier National Park.

More than 2,100 personnel are battling the fire, with 81 fire engines, 30 water tenders, 18 helicopters and eight bulldozers also being utilized in the effort. Some 20 archaeologists are also part of the team, charged with identifying and helping to minimize damage from spreading fires or suppression efforts. At least one is assigned to each bulldozer and road grader, one of a host of measures taken to protect archaeological sites, according to the Incident Management Team. The fire already burned over many such sites in the area, which is known for its Native American history."

Back
Top Bottom