Battery Tenders and solar plugs don't play well together

rotti

I don't have my solar panels yet but I thought I'd charge my camper batteries by plugging in my Battery Tender to the SAE solar wall plug. The Tender immediately started flashing a reverse polarity warning.

Being the electrical genius that I am I immediately concluded that the plug was wired wrong. So red becomes the new black and black becomes the new red. The BT now charges the batteries and I feel pretty smug and start wondering about quality control at FWC.

I start to send an email to Stan and then decide there no way I can be right about anything that has to with electricity. I do some research and it appears Battery Tenders and solar hook ups are wired backwards from each other.

The following is a cut and paste from: http://www.sae2pin.com

"Polarity being which side of a particular connector is “hot” (+) positive, and which side is (-) negative.

In the case of Battery Tenders, the connector polarity is driven by the necessity for it to be the “protected” female side of the SAE 2 Pole connector at the end of the assembly connected to a vehicle battery to be the “hot” (+) positive side. Therefore, the exposed pin side of the SAE 2 Pin on the end of a Battery Tender output must be “hot” (+) positve.

Portable Solar Chargers are a different situation, since the solar cells are a power source. Their output connection must therefore be of the polarity which will have the “protected” female side of the SAE 2 Pin connection being the “hot” (+) positive. Accessory assemblies must then be of a polarity in which the exposed male pin of the SAE 2 Pin meant to be plugged into the output connection of a portable solar charger must be the “hot” (+) positve.

Anyone connecting leads in circuits such as those discribed above must be carefully mindful of polarity. There may even be times when it is necessary to use a multi-tester to confirm polarity. The continuity test function of a multi-tester can be employed to determine which contact (or pin) on the connector at one end of a lead is mapped to (leads to) which contact on the connector at the other end. "

Maybe everybody but me knows this?
Pray for me.....my house has aluminum wiring.

I did not know this, but was saved by the fact that FWC provided me an SAE plug with 5' of wire, with the red wire going into the 'protected' side of the plug, since I bought the rear wall plug option from them.

Something related that I learned during the delivery process - since I ordered the roof solar also, they wired the rear wall plug to the controller, not to the battery compartment. So I didn't want a portable panel/controller, just a panel of wattage that was within the 15 Amp controller's capacity, accounting for the roof panel. So my wiring the + positive from the panel to the red wire of lead FWC provided was the right thing to do, lucky for me.

Back
Top Bottom