Bed liner

robcc

Advanced Member
Just about to get our ATC installed and just removed our shell, plastic liner and tailgate. The bed is in good shape for an '09 truck since we had a shell on.
1. Any reason to hold onto the plastic liner? It is pretty cumbersome to store. We'd have the camper off 20% of the time only in winter.
2. Will the new camper scratch the bed? Would it warrant getting a spray in bed liner.
Thanks

I went thru the same thing on my 2010 Tundra in 2014 when I got my Hawk. Just went ahead and had LineX installed. One advantage in addition to protecting the bed from rust and scrapes is that the camper doesn’t move around and my turnbuckles have remained tight after the initial period of getting them set up.

it is a one time expense. I don’t regret paying for it.

Paul

I have a plastic bed liner at our mountain cabin in the bushes and doubt I will ever use it. I have my 2017 Hallmark Milner on the truck now.

1. No.

2a. Why do you care?
2b. are you going to put rubber mat under the camper?

Checking on NADAguides, bedliner only adds $50 - $200 to resale value.

Have had a rubber pad under our Ocelot that is on our 05 Tundra full time (110K miles now). Works fine and much cheaper than a spray in bed liner. I also use closed cell mini foam as "bumper" against the front wall of the bed to pad the outside camper wall from gettting to beat up by the top edge of the bed.

It depends on how long you plan to keep your truck and your approach to care of your tools and belongings. I recently took the plastic bed liner out of my owned-since-new 1993 K2500 extended cab long bed truck that has 150k miles. Some areas were rubbed through to metal with slight surface rust that could be sanded off. I had Line X installed for about 400 bucks. The bed looks like new and is well protected. In my opinion it’s money well spent to protect the bed from damage and corrosion.

Edit: By the way, the Line X dealer in Auburn, WA did a flawless job installing the liner, and did the job on time at the quoted price. I have no affiliation other than as a customer.

When I ordered my new truck I paid extra for the factory bed liner since I had read a number of posts saying it can help prevent your camper from moving around. It looks great and for $595 I consider it a fair deal.

I went with the horse stall type rubber bed mat because we didn't have the time it would take to get the bed sprayed. I literally installed it the day that we left on the second half of our honeymoon. Prior to the mat wash-board made the camper do the jitter-bug in the bed. After the mat it rarely moved at all.

My '84 Xcab yota came to me with a plastic bed-liner. After seeing what it did to the bed I'll never own another one. The PO had coated the whole inside of the bed with under-coating prior to installing the bed-liner. Removal revealed lots of places where it had rubbed thru and those spots were rusting.

Back
Top Bottom