Bed support splitting

thewwkayaker

Advanced Member
Seems my support board for the extended bed was cracked and is now splitting more as we use it. I'm trying to decide the best solution.

Anyone have this issue before?

I'm not sure how it was connected to the sliding bed (haven't found the screws yet).

I was wondering if the best approach would be a steel or alum angle bar would be the smart fix (I think 1/8" steel would suffice, thicker if alum) and just face the angle iron with the current would for "look"

Otherwise - replace it with a new piece of (Oak? not sure what it is but that's my guess), or something else?

Thanx

What year camper? Pictures would be a big help. Are you referring to the end piece that you grab to to pull the extension out or the side rail? More information is needed.

Sorry - see attached file then...

The board I pointed to in the picture and the "crack" I drew (because you couldn't see in the picture the real crack so I drew on one to give the idea).

This is indeed the board that you pull on to extend the bed and rests on the supports screwed into the side of the camper.

Thanx

Attachments

• support board crack sm2.jpg
    support board crack sm2.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 110
Seems like putting an angle behind the wood would work. You could probably glue the split in the current board and reuse it to face the angle as you suggest.

I am not a woodworker, I am sure a good woodworker would just replace the board. I like metal. Would open and glue the crack. Find an aluminum channel that would slip over the top of the crack and drill and put screws or long rivets to hold it in place. If you can not find a channel that fits HD and Lowes should carry rectangular tubing and you could cut off one side. Also if you have a sheet metal shop in town they could bend a sheet into a channel for you. If you sheet the front top to bottom the aluminum would not have to be very thick.

Channel
D626A_11919.gif

Tube
ALUM_TUBE_RECTANGLE_036_3000.jpg

Back
Top Bottom