Bedrolls

Quint

Advanced Member
Now that I've got my camper I'm getting it set up. I have the extended bed and have plenty of room so I was thinking of getting a queen size sleeping bag for me and the misses. But, then it occured to me that perhaps regular sleeping sheets, pad, good blanket, pillows would be more comfortable. I have the furnace but it won't be needed for a good while. Some may say try try them and see but I don't want to buy the sleeping bag only to find out it's not that great. Whatta ya'll think about using regular blankets and such vs a sleeping bag in these campers?

When I was FullTiming in my 13' Scamp trailer, I used a mattress with a fitted bottom sheet on it and then just a sheet or light blanket or two light blankets or a good sleeping bag, depending on the weather. I dislike having to make my bed, esp in tight quarters, so that worked for me.

The sleeping bag was warm enough that I didn't have to run the heat at night, and usually making my coffee in the morning, plus running my heater for a few minutes, would warm the place right up.

With two people, I would be inclined to get two sleeping bags that could be zipped together or used separately, depending on how cold it was and how much the people were moving around during the night.

Keep in mind that whatever you use you will have to remove to close the top. A sleeping bag may be easier to take down and stow, though I use sheets and a down comforter that I fold and put into a plastic zip up bag. My wife and I both agree that we sleep better in the camper than at home, but that may be because we are usualy pretty tired when we climb up into the bunk.

i dont have to take down my slumberjack kodiak! there is enough space for it to fit when the top is down.

i have to be very careful to get it flat.

We started using the zip together sleeping bags we'd used for years and found them too worm once we added the heater. Before our last trip we made a light weight double bag from two fleece blankets and two flannel sheets. We sewed each together at the bottom and connected with some fabric ties. They take up a third of space and are much more comfortable than sleeping bags.

My wife, June, and I have been using the Cabelas Adam and Eve zip together bags for quit some time. They are very comfortable either individually or zipped together. I'm pretty sure that on the version we got one bag is heavier than the other so you can use the appropriate one on top depending on the weather.

Attachments

• adanevesleepingbag.jpg
    adanevesleepingbag.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 444
not sure about jim's set up but i can not leave sleeping bags up top. i have a 30 and 50 degree bags and its too tight a fit with the top down, i do leave a blanket up there though and that fits fine...

erod,

Mine is the same way. I know they increased the height of the bed portion over the years, I think this explains why some folks here can leave bedding on with the top down and some can't.

I use a sleeping bag for convenience. Extra wide fleece bag. Save the down and synthetic stuff for backpacking. But, I'm not married.

Travasak Bedding

Another option is Travasak bedding. We bought one in 1985 or so and it is still in service. They are pricey but worth it IMHO. They have removable sheets for washing, a summer side and winter side and should easily fit over the bed in the loft with the top down.

We bought a single last year. I use normal bedding in the loft and my wife sleeps on the couch with the Travasak bag and a Thermarest pad. Works well.

Website is www.travasak.com. Discount pricing on the web with a little looking around.

I use a bedroll for two similar to the Travasak, made by Coleman I think, that I bought at Camping World nearly 20 years ago.... removable sheets velcro in place, summer/winter sides... I love it for the camper, but don't have clearence to leave it on with top down... sets on the bench with pillows until the next campsite.

Art
'86 Blazer

Back
Top Bottom