BedRug Liner Under A FWC?

Wallowa

Double Ought
My 2005 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 has had a BedRug brand carpet in since new. The BedRug does not absorb any liquids and I am planning to leave it in when we install a new Hawk. Should prevent sliding and add insulation; my guess is that it will compress to 1/4 or 1/2 inch if not less under the weight of the camper.

Has anyone done this with the BedRug?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

I researched this last week Wallowa. Seems folks use everything from horsestall mats, rubber mats,to foam pads. The foam sounds best to me as is the lightest. Will find out in 8-12 weeks when I get my new n.star 850! I am going to use those interlocking foam pads they use at work stations etc. Just happened to be storing some in the garage left over from my old van.
Somebody mentioned the possibility of water pooling with a mat? Seems like a real problem here with all the fir, and ceder needles and leaves plugging the drain holes in the bed of the truck. Ever been a problem?
Your in a beautiful corner of Oregon. Came down for the Pendleton round up last month. Continued on to Lagrande, over the mountain to Antony lakes, and out thru Ukiah. Purty country!
Best,,,allanb

Allan,

Water retention seems to be the problem that must be addressed when placing anything under the camper on the bed of the truck. From what I read at the BedRug website all the material is non-porous, it will not absorb and retain water. Having said that, there will always be an interface between the bottom of the camper and something. Even a bare truck bed can pool water or as you pointed out needles that will soak up water. By putting an impervious layer between the camper and the truck bed you reduce the chance of water getting to the camper bottom but if water does get there, it stays there. Or so it seems to me, but hey I could be wrong! :)

FWC has started using a material on the bottom of their campers to protect the wood from moisture and it the end it ain't rocket science!

Just you need to get out here to the Eagle Cap; secret jewel of the state.

Phil

Thats one thing that struck me on the camper tour last wkend. After reading about aluminum framing and all, the fwc, alaskan, and nstar all have wood touching the bed of the truck. Doesn't seem smart. But hopefully all epoxy or other magic potion protection.

You are certainly correct about "americas alps". Do need to get some hiking in on and thru them. Driven around 3 or 4 times. Hiked in the blues and oregon. side of hells cyn. But not the Eagle cap. (note to self: this is why u need to retire asap, and take off as much time as possible. And drive less and hike more!]

FWC now puts "Skid Guard" on bottom of campers and it supposed to be "abrasion and moisture resistant"....hope it really is moisture resistant!

Eagle Cap is the largest wilderness in Oregon...fortunately it is only 4 miles from our home and we look out at the range every morning with coffee! And yes, I spend about two weeks a year in the backcountry.

I ride a dirt bike [GSA] on the 4K miles of backcountry dirt roads here and then cross into Idaho, Montana,Wyoming and Nevada for more...we are buying the Hawk to increase out backcountry time and to allow us to do it together. Almost all of my backcountry time is solo.

My question about low temp camping in the Hawk is because I plan to use the Hawk as a base for backcountry skiing...hey, it never quits our here. ;)

Phil

Last winter Christmas/New Years we were in Death Valley with most nights at or around freezing. The coldest night was 8 degrees. As a note, our heater was intermittently working and didn't work at all on the coldest night.

Does FWC brush Skid Guard on or use the plywood instead now? All I can find our strips of Skid Guard but nothing that can be brushed or rolled on.

"...thermally fused polyester surface on up scale Doug Fir. ....Skid Guard manufactured for decking on marina boat docks." [See FWC website]

Whatever the hell all that adds up to. Just hope it is in fact a moisture barrier.

Phil

Ps...supposed to add about 12 lbs in weight to camper

My guess is that the foam will compress from where the runners under the floor sit, ruining the bed rug eventually. I wouldn't count on insulation as it is likely to hold more moisture and not drain well under the camper.

I had a bed rug in a previous truck, it was held in with Velcro. Honestly I would pull it out before loading the camper as I don't think it is going to do anything positive for you.

brianjwilson said:
My guess is that the foam will compress from where the runners under the floor sit, ruining the bed rug eventually. I wouldn't count on insulation as it is likely to hold more moisture and not drain well under the camper.

I had a bed rug in a previous truck, it was held in with Velcro. Honestly I would pull it out before loading the camper as I don't think it is going to do anything positive for you.
x2 I think you need a solid non-skid surface for the camper to sit on. I have a spray-in liner only. The bed drain well and my camper doesn't move.

There you go Phil, these posts have real life experience all over the map. Be nice if could go with the spray in liner and call it good. I imagine a camper shifting around has a lot to do with what kind of roads taken, how tightly staked down etc. the majority of what I have read do need some kind of mat to keep from shifting around.
What about A few small squares of matting, only on ( under) the weight bearing sections of the camper?

I am with you about wanting the truck bed, underside of the camper well insulated. When looking at the underside of the n.star, it was like house floor joist that could all be stuffed full of insulation ( or storage). Just did a search, but not sure if the fwc is the same.?

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the great input.

My intent with leaving the BedRug [Google it] under the Hawk camper was not primarily to insulate the camper but to provide a non-abrasive friction surface to help hold the camper in place even if a turn buckle loosens.

The BedRug is not in anyway a 'rug or carpet' except in name; it is a closed cell [like my neoprene dive suits], woven polypropylene that is waterproof. I suspect the compressed poly will give a slight amount of insulation but I am not counting on that; solid rubber is a terrible insulator.

I drive to Tigard [ugh...7hrs] on 18th to view the demos and place my order for a Hawk; I will be in the Tundra and can let Jeff Martin give me his evaluation of leaving the BedRug in.

Life is good and thanks again,

Phil

7 hours? From wallowa? You should be looking at 5, 6 max. I can make it from further west of Tigard, to Boise in 6.5 hours.

As long as you get into the Portland area at the right time it's no big deal. Traffic is less horrible than usual from 11am-2pm usually.

Either way enjoy the trip. Jeff is good to work with.

Well Hwy 82 is a tad bit slower [ :cautious:] than Hwy 84 and we do stop for lunch....unfortunately we will be there for the wonderful Portland Traffic Chaos [got to remember that there are no traffic signal lights in the entire Wallowa County]...then I return to Hood River back through the maelstrom after placing our order for a Hawk...too damn old to pull 14 hours of driving, possibly in the rain and definitely at night.

Jeff has been a great help and very professional; so has Stan at FWC....looking forward to this.

Phil

Nope ....just South of Enterprise...looking at Hurricane Cyn, Chief Joseph and Ruby Mts having my coffee..at last we have snow!

Phil

Wallowa said:
Nope ....just South of Enterprise...looking at Hurricane Cyn, Chief Joseph and Ruby Mts having my coffee..at last we have snow!

Phil
That's nice country! I've never been there in the winter. I'm having my coffe while watching it rain. I hope to get over there in the early summer to poke around Zumwalt Prairie, maybe we can grab a cup of joe.

When you come this way next week, if you see the l-84 bighorn herd, give me a report. They should be butting heads now.

Wallowa,
I just heard that I 84 east bound is closed between troutdale and hood river due to fallen trees. You may want to confirm closures before heading out to avoid extra delays in either direction. Drive safe!

Back
Top Bottom