Best Sealant to use.

Use a polyurethane of some type for sealing screws. A lot of folks here use 3M products like 5200, 4200 or 4000. 5200 is very permanent and hard to remove if you need to but if you want max bonding as well as sealing it is very good. Always cleaning any surface before applying. I have no experience doing a coating over the entire roof, so can't offer any suggestion if that's what you need.

All of the above are good options. I would caution against 5200 as it is meant for permanent and structural applications. A screw bedded in 5200 will be near impossible to remove.

veryactivelife said:
All of the above are good options. I would caution against 5200 as it is meant for permanent and structural applications. A screw bedded in 5200 will be near impossible to remove.
I have seriously regretted using 3M 4200 as you have to use a wire brush to remove it. 3M 5200 is the next step stronger.

My FWC Eagle is about 20 years old and the roof is getting really dinged up from hail, branches, and other things. Last month I applied Heng's alkyd fibered roof coating in an effort to add some longevity. So far I have been fairly impressed and leak free.

A quality heat gun has allowed me to remove the couple screws bedded in 5200 that I've needed to remove. I'd rather deal with a tough to remove sealant than one that isn't. If it's supposed to seal......

Great discussion. My takeaway is: I can use silicon seal for a lot of things, but when it really matters I will use 5200. I put a dollop of silicon in each screw location for the Oregon required RV license plate for our 4WD pop-up. If something cracks or breaks that is essential, or a leak develops in a critical location -- then I will consider the 5200.

Back
Top Bottom