Big O Bigfoot vs BFG A/T Tires

wyocoyote

well the decision is made, I got new tires for my 1990 k2500 4x4 w/1989 Fourwheel pop up camper. I replaced my BFG A/T s at 245/75/16 with Big O Bigfoots, hope I made the right decision, and figure I'll put my two cents in info as I drive the new ones. I was not "sold" the bigfoots,I did not choose them because they were 100 cheaper on a set of four. I went in my local Big O dealer planning to put on the BFG's as the better off road tires, largely because of the more ply stronger sidewalls(?). Came out with the bigfoots, because they may be very good off road, and a better all condition tire, esp snow/rain/ice. This may be a function of the bigfoots siping and more rounded "base" This vehicle is primarily for camping, while i do try to head to Baja yearly, its used more for The Sierras and deserts year round. My Bfg's at 60% tread were not doing well in icy conditions this winter, though not bad in snow. I am not shy about putting on Chains front and rear when need be, safety first makes for more good times. My sweetie has the Bigfoots, has had them for a good year plus on her 1997 landrover discovery, now that is quite a different beast, but they do, well, great on snow and ice, I have never had snow or studdded tires and live on the coast so more than likely never will. her car on the big o brand does very well on the highway as well as off road, we aren't doing the Rubicon with them or anything. will update and let you know how these large cheerios hold up. Hope I'll be able to run them on low pressure in sand. wish I had automatic runflats, maybe I'll snake some off a hummer. Part of my decision was a positive relation with the Santa Cruz Ca Big O Manager: Jeff Cherry. In fact I could have gotten the BFG's cheaper elsewhere locally (on sale). I think many people in the US probably face this BFG-BIG O tire buying decision, and it sure as heck is a costly one these days. I think if we limited this thread to this comparison, I'm sure there are better choices than the two, and know companies Bidgestone makes many other brands, and limited it to performance and quality, not warranty, cost(being so similar)roadside service and all that jazz it would be helpful. It's possible in my case that I should have made my decision on what is more available in Baja.
I bet you are tire-ed of reading this now, look forward to opinions and experience. hope no one gets snarky. Peace

I think you buy what you are used too or are convinced is better for what ever reason. Me, my dad used big "O", so I use big "O" tires on all my rigs. Used them on my 1980 Toyoya long bed, 4x4 for 20 years with old type mud and snow rock tires until the new radial M/S came out and they convinced me that really they would work just as good as my old balky go anywhere rock tires would. I have used "E" rated M/S tires on my 99 F150, 4x4 since I bought the truck new, many moons ago-need that thick sidewall! I buy a new set when tread gets down so far and now that I'm retired and do allot more adventuring. I buy them more often-and have never really had a problem with the tires. For the last 25 years of working for the BLM, I used Firestone "E" rated tires M/S tires or on my old '80 Power wagon heavy duty rock tires, we always got rid of the stock 2-ply tires as soon as we got in a new truck. Used Firestone because they were used our regular service provider/garage. I had my share of flats out in the rock country I worked in over the years-we usually carried two spares-and it was considered part of the job-no tire could take the beating we gave them, but a thick sidewall and good treads kept that number down. That help!

Smoke:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom