Big Wind

ScottD

We spent two nights at Great Sand Dunes N.P. in southern Colorado on 4/13 and 14. The second night we experienced big wind and I wondered what kind of wind our Fleet could handle. The next day, at the park Visitor Center, we observed at a weather center station, wind gusts up to 29mph and that was after looking for less than a minute. So, during the night there were probably stronger gusts. What kind of wind can these campers handle?

You would be surprised as to how much :) ! While it may sound like the camper is blowing/tearing apart (especially that first time when you are awaken in the middle of the night from a sound sleep) -along with the world, these things really stay together in a wind/rain storm. A bigger problem is putting it up or taking it down in that same raging storm. I don't know how much wind these things are rated to take, but like any other thing, use your common sense before you flee your camper for your truck's cab :ninja: !Just ride it out and enjoy :p !

Smoke

Lots, but like Smoke says, getting the top down in a big wind can be amusing (to spectators). I don't exactly how much but I've risen in the morning and gone "hey, where did all the tents go?".

I've been in 60+ mph winds at Jalama Beach, and I have this friend, yeah my friend, who forgot to latch the top and drove 100 miles in Canada at 55mph with it popped up. They hold together just fine.

I remember a story about a guy who washed his rig and was driving it down the road at 60 mph + . A cop pulled him over to tell him his top was up. He replied, "Thanks officer, I know, I just washed it and am drying it off.

Personally I have been in a 50 mile an hour cross-wind in the desert - rockin and rollin with no damage."

We had some big winds the Sacramento Valley this week and I had no problems with my Hawk - I have driven as fast a 90 (with the top down thank you very much) with no problems at all. They are really tough.

Spent night in camper with side wind at 35 with gusts to 40 MPH. A little noisy but not uncomfortable.

One of the advantages of having the bed downs I can sleep with the top down if conditions dictate.

Spent a night in a Bibler I-Tent in 80+ MPH wind. Problem with tents is that even if they hold together, they act as a sail and the wind wants to take the tent with you in it down the mountain! Truck and camper has much more mass anchoring it to your campsite.

K6ON said:
I've been in 60+ mph winds at Jalama Beach, and I have this friend, yeah my friend, who forgot to latch the top and drove 100 miles in Canada at 55mph with it popped up. They hold together just fine.
My stay at Jalama Beach.

I had gusts over 50mph the very first day I picked up the camper. I worried until I was too tired to worry any longer and finally fell asleep. No damage at all. Very impressed

They sure can take a bunch! I was in Clearwater Beach, parked next to a high rise, with 50 mph winds and a driving rain, and the building really made the winds waaaaaayyyy more interesting. Likely accelerated them a bunch, and the building made the winds choppy and weird. The wind came out of the west, and I was on the south side. I was pretty nervous, ready to close the top and sleep on the front dinette... Super uncomfortable, shaking and rocking, the noise was not fun. The camper did amazing, not a drop came in. Although the nights sleep was poopy, I'm pretty confident in the campers ability to take more than I, I still wish I had holed up in a hotel that night.

I have heard of a member that drove at freeway speeds from the beach with his top up. Of course this is only a rumor. But the camper held up just fine and had no damage. No beer was involved and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mike

simimike said:
I have heard of a member that drove at freeway speeds from the beach with his top up. Of course this is only a rumor. But the camper held up just fine and had no damage. No beer was involved and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mike
And the guy that drove from Shasta to Sacto oth no damage while other drivers pointed at him. Just a vicious rumor?

Back
Top Bottom