Bike rack

ColoradoGuy

Anybody hauling around bikes with their camper? I'm curious about how you do it. I've got an '06 Tacoma outfitted with an Eagle 4W Camper shell. I've ruled out a roof rack for obvious reasons, and am thinking a front rack would be the only way to go. Is there such a device? Don't recall ever seeing one.

Anyway, it would be fun to combine some mountain biking with our camping excursions. Who's doing it? Thanks.

Paul

Illegal

Do a search, there have been several previous threads on this.

BTW depending on who you talk to this may be illegal:D

Attachments

• DSCN0576.jpg
    DSCN0576.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,078
My guess is a rear rack that goes into the hitch is easiest. If you are overloaded, you might need supersprings or airbags to help with the weight being that the extra 50-100lbs is so far back.

We use a Surco. I took pictures last night, but left the camera home. :( Maybe tomorrow...

We fit three bikes on it and have traveled all over the US. The rack swings to the side fully loaded so you can get into and out of the camper.

Less than $250.

I knew I could depend on this site

Thanks for the great responses. I'm gonna investigate further and make up my mind, but looks as though I've got several options. Again, thanks.

If you are not worried about rear clearance this could work. http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=964 We used one when we had a BIG truck camper. It swings out to the right so you can get in and out of the camper without having to take the bikes off.

Jim

I use the same Thule racks, but what bothers me is the rack instructions state "Not intended for off-road use." I'd sure hate to have them break while going over some rough 4X4 road.

Hey Paul

I have seen our customers mount bikes in all different locations over the years.

You have several choices, just do your homework and see what you like and what might work best for you.

If you decide to go with bikes in the front and you want to order the front hitch reciever, you might want to check out www.etrailer.com. I have ordered many things from them and the prices have always seemed good (check back daily to their web site, they have sales prices almost every day) -- most of the time free shipping and no sales tax !

See example here ...

http://www.etrailer.com/fmr-2006_Toyota_Tacoma+Pickup.htm

==================================================

Anybody hauling around bikes with their camper? I'm curious about how you do it. I've got an '06 Tacoma outfitted with an Eagle 4W Camper shell. I've ruled out a roof rack for obvious reasons, and am thinking a front rack would be the only way to go. Is there such a device? Don't recall ever seeing one.

Anyway, it would be fun to combine some mountain biking with our camping excursions. Who's doing it? Thanks.

Paul

Attachments

• 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 750
  • 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 776
  • 444.jpg
    444.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 807
  • 555.jpg
    555.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 815
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 786
Inside option

I wanted to keep the bikes inside for security and mileage reasons.
I put a yakima bars on 2X4's so they could be removed in seconds, since they attach with stadard slide latches to the cabinet base.
The bars are short (10") but enough to fit 2 thule criterium bike racks, which hold the entire bike with front tire (and light weight). All can be removed quickly,and is light weight as I could make. When I get around to a outside rear rack it will be a Yakima that hooks into a custom bumper with 3 hitches.
It will move as the door does and the other 2 hitches will be for gas and jerry cans.

wow, so many options. I put in front receiver in the dodge full sized. i can put a spare tire holder and thus have two spares and can attach bikes to it if I want. Also can put a receiver hitch bike rack and just carry bikes. I have step in the back receiver hitch and dont like to block the door. keeps everything neat and tidy with no weight on the roof. If I need, Kayaks have to go up top.

hope this helps. keep it simple and keep your options open. A lot of stuff can be found on craigslist for much cheaper!!!

good luck and let us know what you do.

dave in seattle.

Here, belatedly, are some shots of the swing-away bike rack we bought at the beginning of the summer. The first photo shows the rack in transport position, with the bikes locked up and ready for the road:

folded.jpg

This photo shows the rack unfolded. Note that the bikes are all secured to the camper with a cable lock. The lock doesn't have to be fooled with to swing open the rack:

unfolded_cable.jpg

The rack has a hinge point down low and a pivot point up high. This lets the bikes wrap around the side of the camper in unfolded position:

unfolded_side.jpg

P.S.: The rack is a Surco

eI decided to ressurect this thread rather than starting a new/similar one.

I'm looking at a front receiver hitch for my 2004 Tundra DC to haul chairs/various BS on. There are a couple out there, it seems....

However, the draw-tite is the only one with an install video. In this video it shows that you take the lower front rock sheild off...and leave it off. This exposes quite a bit of the lower radiator and front suspension....

Does anyone have this unit on their tundra? I"m opposed to leaving the sheild off and wondered what kind of cutting might have to be done to make it fit? Anyone?

I'll probably call a dealer in Denver to ask this question but thought I'd ask the EXPERTS here first. :D:thumb:

Any insight//experience with other hitches appreciated

mtn

Northern Tool.

Valley Industries Front-Mount Receiver Hitch — For 2001–2007 Toyota Sequoia; 2000–2006 Tundra, Model# 71220 | Buy now for just $149.99!

Use this Valley Industries front-mount receiver hitch to securely attach a cargo carrier or winch to the front of your truck. Also useful for launching boats and other applications. U.S.A.

Attachments

• 337822_lg.gif
    337822_lg.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 464
I use the same Thule racks, but what bothers me is the rack instructions state "Not intended for off-road use." I'd sure hate to have them break while going over some rough 4X4 road.

The most important part of the swing away Thule rack is to always screw the post tightly to the base. For rough road use, you might want to attach some kind of a cinch clamp around swing-out arm near the post. I'm sure his is true for any of the swing-out racks.

If you don't, the brass bushings in the Thule swing out hinge give out :(. There is no repair. Fortunately, this happened while still under the 2 year warranty :eek: and it was a pleasure working with Thule to get a replacement.

We generally don't take the bikes on roads like the ones into Saline Valley, but as long as there is no undue stress on the swing-out hinge, you should be fine.

We took the bikes with us on the Cottonwood Canyon road in Escalante Grand Staircase in Utah (highly recommended), which had several deep pocket mud holes and the clearance was fine.

Thule

I started this thread last June, fully intending to be bike worthy last summer. But life got in the way and I didn't purchase a bike rack until three months ago, using my REI dividend money.

Went with the Thule, which swings down and allows the doors to open. So far so good. Cost me in the neighborhood of $200, which is pricey, I've got to admit. I'm not an E-Bay guy and probably could have done better.

Glad to see this thread is still bumping along and hope it's been as helpful to others as it was to me. Again, thanks for all your great responses.

Paul H.

I'm using the same rack that Stan has in his last photo (Sportworks which Thule now bought). The bikes go on and off in seconds. Since I don't like taking the bikes off every time that I want to get in the back door I bought a 12" hitch extension for $19 at harbor freight and it has a step welded on the top. The rear door will open all the way without removing the bikes. The departure angle kinda sucks though. It survived 100+ miles of washboard road too.

Back
Top Bottom