bike rack

I've seen front mounted racks, but such are illegal in CA. Otherwise, would have probably gone that route and mounted a Yakima or Thule rack on the front.

Instead, we got the Thule swing-away bike rack that mounts on a standard 2" square hitch. It works very well, and is only a minor hassle - you have to unlatch and swing it away to get into the camper when on the road. However, while camped, the bikes are nicely parked (locked) beside the camper, and quickly unracked for use.

Always a problem, where to store that extra gear!

Well, here in WA state, I carry the bikes on the front as it is out of the way. have a front receiver that I can put a bike rack into. Could also put a cargo carrier there if I need be, or it can go on the back. Versatile. If I take ferries, the charge for extra long or extra tall vehicles, so sometimes I take them off and put them inside for the voyage.

If no Kayaks....then sometimes the bikes go up on top. Gotta watch the bugs on the front or top. Can be bad in spring.

It really depends on what you are carrying and how convenient you want it. The custom jobs here area really nice.

I do find that the rear bike racks sometimes get in the way of using the camper as the door gets in the way. In the rain, a real drag.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Dave in Seattle.

Illegal in CA?

Jack,

It's been brought up before and I have to ask where in the vehicle code that makes front mounts illegal in CA? Section 35408 states that the front bumper construction, is this what people are talking about. The section on vision obstruction is about windshields and I can't find anything about headlight obstruction.

I and my in-laws have mounted bikes on the front and driven all over the state without incident. We use the flat low racks for visibility. It's really handy for access to the rear. My father-in-law was a bus driver for years and they mount on the front.

I don't mean to be a pain, just looking for info:)

Here are some shots,

Attachments

• DSCN0718.jpg
    DSCN0718.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 266
  • DSCN0781.jpg
    DSCN0781.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 250
Back
Top Bottom