BLACK ROCK RENDEZVOUS, any WTW'ers Going?

GroovyDad

I'm going to the Black Rock Rendezvous May 22-25, 2015 and I was wondering if there were any other "Wander the Wester's" going? The BRR is a blast, so check out the link below to find out more. There's great camping, presentations, cookouts, day excursions to different areas of the Black Rock and even an outing or two to some area hot springs. You can even volunteer for some rehab. projects if you want.

I've been to this before and it's a great time. It'd be nice to see some other WTW'rs there...

http://blackrockdesert.org/blackrockrendezvous/

Attachments

• brr.jpg
    brr.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 102
I've never heard of this event...interesting. I see it's sponsored by conservation groups, so that's a good sign.

MarkBC said:
I've never heard of this event...interesting. I see it's sponsored by conservation groups, so that's a good sign.
Yes, I'm going with the Friends of Nevada Wilderness group, but the Sierra Club and Friends of the Blackrock have a large presence there too.

I agree with you Mark-I too have never heard of this event-and I've spent allot of years working with groups and doing allot of BLM planning on the High Rock side---but I've been retired now for almost 9 years so maybe new forces have arrived on the scene! May have to think about this and break out my old copies of Wheelers, Nevada's Black Rock Desert and The Black Rock Desert to inspire me.! Ya know the more I think about this I think it may be in response to the drought because the only time you hear about that area is in response to the Burning Man Event and from what I have heard allot of the environmental community around here has always wished their cause (and mine) got more press/tv coverage! So using the drought for that seems highly possible, and the program looks sort of looks a bit environmental.

Hmmmm, Mark not sure if I'm ready to get involved in that stuff again -need to think! [commercial break] Looking closer at the events/ speakers it looks like what we use to call in the old days a call for help/input from the public- to make future management plans, one of those events we keep telling everyone who cares about using and not abusing our public lands-no matter what side you are on-should attend because this is an opportunity to add your 2 cents worth where it may do some good! As I and others here have said before-I don't know how many public input planning meetings we have advertised that no one except the very few same user groups showed up-and get a say-show up, it's your public lands too-if nothing else it sounds like a fun time[end message]!

Smoke

Well I'll try one more time since my last posts were censored by the powers that be. IMHO events such as this and burning man negatively impact the Black Rock desert by attracting thousands of people that would not even know the desert existed without them. In my opinion the playa has changed drastically since the late 80's and early 90's as visitor days have skyrocketed.

The point of this thread is to announce an event -- not to debate the value of such events in general. That's why off-topic posts are removed.

If someone wants to start a new topic on stewardship of the Black Rock or keeping people off the Black Rock or whatever, they are welcome to -- in the Advocacy sub-forum or the WTW Lounge.

People should read the Site Rules -- there's a link at the bottom of every page.
The rules cover what kind of content is appropriate on WTW. It also clarifies what the First Amendment actually covers.
One of the most important clauses of the WTW Site Rules are BE NICE!

JUST A REMINDER for anyone considering this event:

The Black Rock Rendezvous is only a few days away. See the link on the first post for more information...

I see they moved the location due to rain --> wet playa:

MONDAY MAY 18 UPDATE: Due to rain this week, we are hosting at the top of Cassidy Mine this year. Join us rain or shine for panoramic views! Cassidy Mine Road is accessible via Soldier Meadows Road.

Yes, and the Cassidy Mine location is just up the road from the original playa camp location, so it's not too inconvenient. Maybe I'll see a WTW'er or two...

Back
Top Bottom