Bought an Alaskan! Now, how do I get it on my truck?

bigskymck

Howdy all. New guy here looking for expert advice. Thanks in part to a post in the Gear section, I have located and bought a 1971 8-foot cabover ... exactly what I've been looking for.
Now, the hard part. I'm in Colorado and the camper is in Montana. I'll travel there next week with tools I think I might need to mount the camper.
The good news: The camper does not have the bumpouts on the lower section that would require me to remove or cut them down to fit my modern truck.
The bad news: I have a 2000 Ford F350 crew cab dually, with 8 foot bed and with the tallest tires they make. I plan to bring a compressor to air down the tires to lower the rear end. The owner also has lots of cinder blocks to raise the two jacks (Reico?) that he has. I assume these are the old types that have angle irons that simply hug the side of the camper in the middle. I will bring an offroad jack to stabilize the back end.
The only way I figure I can make this work is take the two old jacks, check the wire cable, lubricate, and have a welder or machinist weld or bolt on wide steel extensions onto the bottom of the L channel jacks. These extensions would probably have to be at least 12 inches wide on each side to clear the dually fenders (each of which extends out 10 inches from the side of the truck.) I worry that kind of load would collapse the tops of the tripod jacks inward, so I would raise them as high as possible before jacking to minimize the torque on them.
Am I on the right track? Is there a better way (short of an industrial forklift!)? Does some else have a better idea? Any pictures of your solutions?
Finally, the camper is now resting on his truck on 1x6 boards. I saw on another post the non-cabover dimension of the bottom part on a 1976 is 19.5 inches. My bed to top of rails is 20 inches, so that would fit. But my bed to top of cab is 45 inches. Would a base structure made of 2x2 pressure treat wood or aluminum give me enough clearance over the roof?
Sorry for all the newbie questions. The camper is kind of in the middle of nowhere Montana, so I am going to have to anticipate most of the supplies I need to bring with me. I do plan to bolt the camper to my truck bed, at least until I get back to Colorado.
Thanks for any advice or pictures of how folks with similar issues solved the loading problem.
Bill

you will need rough 4x4's in your bed for the CO to clear your cab....4" is what Brian uses at Alaskan to mount them on newer Fords...I'm building a platform for my 73 to clear my cab (2003) by another 3/4"....so my platform will be 4 3/4" tall

you can get the camper in halfway with the jacks as they are, mounted midpoint on the camper up to your fenders...if you take 3 or 4 -8 foot 4x4's as a bedding then a series of dowels...3/4" or so.....and roll it in the rest of the way....make sure you place a 4'-4x4 across the bed against the front of the bed to hold the camper back from the cab so things won't rub....eventually mount some "rubber baby buggy bumpers"

you'll need that compressor...deflate your tires about halfway to start the process and see how far you get...you will have those cable jacks at the end of their run and the jacks as high as they'll go

after the camper is rolled in, lift slightly with the jacks on the rear and remove the dowels for the trip home
you won't need to bolt it in for the trip.....I brought mine back from my sisters in Oregon (to California) just stuck in the bed....nada holding it in...it doesn't slide much if at all....but.....I'm now a belt and suspenders guy

put a ratchet strap around the back and snug it up that'll be enough to hold it in place for the trip...use those tie downs located inside the bed at the tailgate

voila

Thanks for the advice, Rusty. Very ingenious and old school. After I posted, the seller came up with a good, easy solution. His buddy owns an industrial forklift. He's just going lift the camper off his truck and I'll drive under it with mine and he'll place it on the bed.
I can then explain to everyone who wants to borrow my truck to move or haul rocks that, sorry, that camper is a parent fashion!
I will keep your advice on the amount of lift I need.
Thanks again. Bill

Back
Top Bottom