Brake light wiring question (4-prong trailer connector)

deezlgeezr

Advanced Member
I installed a center high-mount brake light on the rear of my '17 Hawk and connected it to the trailer electrical connector (4-prong male) to improve safety on my rig. I used a 4-prong, 6-ft, 4-wire utility trailer wiring lead (male) and connected it to an LED lamp using two of the four wires in the lead.

I'm satisfied with the setup, but there is one small problem. The high-mount light flashes with the turn signals. I'm wondering if I managed to improperly read the diagram embossed on the connectors and mis-wired the light to the turn signal connector for the trailer.

Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis? I would love to find out that I could change one wire connection and get a 'flash free' brake light.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :)

You have to install a convertor to your wiring to only allow the brake lamp to come on. Most trailer supply centers have them.

So, after learning a little about this 'converter' I now realize that what I need for my wiring setup is a 2-to-3 converter (converts 2 wire signal to 3 wire signal). This unit will 'separate' my brake light signal (steady current) from the turn light signals (intermittent current).

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction fish more!! :D

deezlgeezr said:
So, after learning a little about this 'converter' I now realize that what I need for my wiring setup is a 2-to-3 converter (converts 2 wire signal to 3 wire signal). This unit will 'separate' my brake light signal (steady current) from the turn light signals (intermittent current).

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction fish more!! :D
Also, here's a troubleshooting FAQ on 4-pole wiring if your still having the same issues. A proper ground wire connection is needed as well, for brake/turn signals to operate correctly. Good luck!

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-4-5-way-troubleshooting.aspx

Back
Top Bottom