Brannan Island State Park

Jamesiam

Hello all. I'm finally heading down to the Delta, unfortunately without a boat. I can't talk my friend into bringing his down there. We'll be down in that area for around three days towards the end of February. A few questions comes to mind.

I would love to at least bring a bait caster and fish from shore. All my spinning gear is mostly light for drop shot and reservoir fishing so I won't bother with that. What can I catch from the shore in that area?

While I'm in that general area should I see anything in particular, my interests are great beer, seafood, awesome nature trails and great diners, plus around a 1000 other things but that is my peak interest at the moment.

Thank you for any suggestions

Hello all. I'm finally heading down to the Delta, unfortunately without a boat. I can't talk my friend into bringing his down there. We'll be down in that area for around three days towards the end of February. A few questions comes to mind.

I would love to at least bring a bait caster and fish from shore. All my spinning gear is mostly light for drop shot and reservoir fishing so I won't bother with that. What can I catch from the shore in that area?

While I'm in that general area should I see anything in particular, my interests are great beer, seafood, awesome nature trails and great diners, plus around a 1000 other things but that is my peak interest at the moment.

Thank you for any suggestions

Unfortunately last I heard, Brannan Island State Park was on the closure list. I think it's closed, but a quick phone call can confirm. The Point closed for good on December 23, 2012. Fosters is good. Tower Park has a good restaurant and the town of Isleton has a couple. Moore's Riverboat is closed. The Delta Chambers office is at the corner of Hy 12 and Hy 160, just before you enter Rio Vista. They can recommend several good wineries in the area, good food, and where the fishing is good. Bob's bait in Isleton also has latest fishing info. As far as nature trails, there's several nature preserves in the general area with stunning bird populations. I keep a boat on the Delta so am down there often. From shore, if they are running, you can catch Stripers, Salmon, Large Mouth Bass, and if you're REALLY LUCKY, a Sturgeon.
My cell number is (916) 952-1098, give me a call when you're in the area, weather permitting, I'll try to get down and give you a little boat tour of the area.

Bob

Unfortunately last I heard, Brannan Island State Park was on the closure list. I think it's closed, but a quick phone call can confirm. The Point closed for good on December 23, 2012. Fosters is good. Tower Park has a good restaurant and the town of Isleton has a couple. Moore's Riverboat is closed. The Delta Chambers office is at the corner of Hy 12 and Hy 160, just before you enter Rio Vista. They can recommend several good wineries in the area, good food, and where the fishing is good. Bob's bait in Isleton also has latest fishing info. As far as nature trails, there's several nature preserves in the general area with stunning bird populations. I keep a boat on the Delta so am down there often. From shore, if they are running, you can catch Stripers, Salmon, Large Mouth Bass, and if you're REALLY LUCKY, a Sturgeon.
My cell number is (916) 952-1098, give me a call when you're in the area, weather permitting, I'll try to get down and give you a little boat tour of the area.

Bob

Thanks for the heads up on birding. I'm not a birder but after visiting Clear lake a few times and seeing all the birds in that area I'm definitely intrigued.

Wow thanks for the invite to give you a call for a little tour, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

He circle round twice and he took a big whiff
Then sucked up this savory meal
Then came a jolt and to the diamondback's surprise
Through his lips cut the cold, barbed steel

Primus

Only eight beers on tap? Reminds me its been ages since I've been down there. Matter of fact I haven't been on a boat since someone torched my buddies Grady.

Fosters Big Horn if you like stuffed game on the wall.

I can remember going there as a kid with my Dad. And I'm in my 50's now. Didn't know that place still existed.

Only eight beers on tap? Reminds me its been ages since I've been down there. Matter of fact I haven't been on a boat since someone torched my buddies Grady.

Craig, if you need a boating fix let me know..You've seen pics of my scow..It's pretty comfortable, even in winter ;) I spent last Saturday and Sat night on board, left early Sunday to be home for 49'ers game :D

Does anyone know of places to camp out on the Delta that are not RV park type places?

Thank you,

Darryl

Virtually all the land around the Delta is private and most is farmland. I've been around the area since about 1970 and don't remember any "dry camping" area's. That being said, there are lots of "campgrounds" in the Delta. They go from very rustic all the way to KOA's. A lot of the marina's have camping area's. This time of the year most all of the camping area's are virtually deserted and crowds are not a problem. Check this site for info on the Delta RV parks and campgrounds:

www.californiadelta.org

Thanks for the feedback and opportunities for the Delta, the trip has been postponed until another time though. We've decided to head over to Pardee Reservoir for the February trip, camping is opening on Feb 13th and fishing opens on the 14th, we'll head down on the 15th for a three day fishing extravaganza! I'll get to the Delta another time.

Back
Top Bottom