Buffalo Valley Nevada & Beyond - May 2017

Thanks Ski.
That nest in the old tower,is that the one that had the Red Tails?
I bet other people are surprised at you two when they come across you out in places
where nobody else goes.
Great trip.
Thanks
Frank

Whorehouse Meadow

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whorehouse Meadow[1] is a meadow located on the western slope of Steens Mountain southeast of Frenchglen, Oregon, United States. It earned its name in the days of the Old West. Entrepreneuring women from Vale, Oregon, would set up wood and canvas tents in the meadow to provide services to the sheepherders and cattlemen of the area. Many of the sheepherders were Basque American immigrants, and their sometimes explicit carvings can still be found in the bark of aspen trees surrounding the meadow. The name was changed in the 1960s to "Naughty Girl Meadow" on Bureau of Land Management maps, but in 1981 the old name was restored after public outcry.[2] It has frequently been noted on lists of unusual place names.[3][4]

When you do go there, you will need to include photos of some of the carvings in your trip report. ;)

Whorehouse Meadows is a really neat area, but some of it is in private holdings. I'm not sure if you can drive or camp in the area, but I believe you can hike there. We have, nearly 30 years ago, found remnants of the services and their prices offered by the prostitutes carved into the aspen trees. As the area is close to 7000' in elevation, it's going to be snowbound for a while. A couple of weeks ago, Jackman Park was reported to have 52" of snow.

42°43'50"N 118°37'50"W

The above coordinates can be copied and pasted into Google Earth for a virtual visit. The Fish Lake, OR USGS quad uses the new name, Naughty Girl Meadow

Not exactly in Whorehouse Meadows, but similar. This as I recall is about a mile away. Not a great shot, but you can see what the general area is like. Far more aspen in the name place. Mr. 3Pin, I believe that the quad was printed during the brief period when "Naughty Girl" was in vogue. Someday, it will be corrected.

3808150470_860a0f93ae_b.jpg

I imagine the rancher probably thought you followed your gps until you ran out of gas or got stuck. Unfortunately thats happening all too often these days. Thanks for another great trip report.

Ski3pin. Great report. That spot below Mt Jefferson looks familiar!
IMG_1221.JPG
I can confirm the elk in the meadow. Wasn't able to get pictures.

Everyone, continued thanks for your always nice comments on our travel stories. We very much appreciate it. Mr. Stew, thanks for checking in with your nice comment. We know we are in your old stomping grounds. :)

Sledawg said:
Ski3pin. Great report. That spot below Mt Jefferson looks familiar!

I can confirm the elk in the meadow. Wasn't able to get pictures.
Sledawg, that is a great spot, isn't it? This was our first encounter with elk in the Toquima Range. It is always fun to see wapiti!

Another great trip report. A part of history that would have escaped without your exploration. I find these kind of stories invigorating and members of WTW are so lucky. Thanks Ski. jd

Back
Top Bottom