Bumper for a long trip

David95436

I'm driving from Northern California to Chile and want to replace my stock bumpers with something to protect my All-Terrain Bobcat and Toyota Tacoma. Can anyone recommend front and back bumpers that are inexpensive and do the job; no need for anything "bad-ass"? I am looking for recommendations of name brand bumpers (as I don't know anything) and perhaps recommended sites or stores (in the North Bay-Area).

Thanks

David

I would like to see practical options for bumpers myself and my trip plans are far less ambitious. The rear of my Keystone has no bumper protection. Good post, David. _John D

For rear bumper consider Renuel they are made tough and owned one on the 83 truck.

Front is how much do you need weight wise and with a winch? Go too heavy then you need new coils to support the load. A basic roll bar tubing done right with a hitch reciever for a portable winch is what I did with the 4 Runner. Green Creek trip there is 40' off tubing up front.

On the 83 Toyota truck I had a custom front Renuel that we and the truck surivied a front end hit with a 500lb cow elk going 60 mph!

After I got rear-ended a few years back I looked pretty hard for a replacement that was reasonable and functional. I ended up with Buckstop and I've been very happy with it. Someday I'll save up enough pennies for a front one as well. Here is the link to the Toyota page. I don't see a rear listed but you might give them a call and see what they have off the menu. I've had mine on for a little over 5 years and it still looks good. Fortunately I haven't had the occasion to try it out in another rear-ender.

http://www.buckstop.biz/toyota-tacoma.html

-Vic

I'm driving from Northern California to Chile and want to replace my stock bumpers with something to protect my All-Terrain Bobcat and Toyota Tacoma. Can anyone recommend front and back bumpers that are inexpensive and do the job; no need for anything "bad-ass"? I am looking for recommendations of name brand bumpers (as I don't know anything) and perhaps recommended sites or stores (in the North Bay-Area).

Thanks

David

Look into Aluminess, they are the bumpers seen on Sportsmobiles. They are fabricated in the San Diego area...

I have no idea what that trek is like, do you expect a lot of offload that would potentially require a more solid bumper in case you hit something?

Look into Aluminess, they are the bumpers seen on Sportsmobiles. They are fabricated in the San Diego area...

x2 on Aluminess

I would recommend ARB for the front. Their bumpers are airbag compliant. When the airbag goes off is nothing you want to mess with.

Back
Top Bottom