Cab over clearance 2023 F-250

WjColdWater

Just wondering if anyone has a 2023 Ford F-250 with a Grandby and did you add and shimming to get more clearance. I have a new 2023 and getting ready to prep for my Grandby. My calculations indicate 2-1/4” after setting on a 1/2” rubber bed mat. Will that be enough or should I add a 3/4” stall mat on top of the 3/8” mat? Coming from a 2020 F-150 set up.
IMG-7403.jpg

Thanks in advance.

For my Hawk on my '21 F350, I added a 3/4" stall mat on top of a 3/8" bed mat. I wanted to be sure it would clear the satellite antennas and it was looking really close without the 3/4" stall mat. Even with the stall mat, I can't get my arm between the cabover and the roof to dry it after washing the truck.

full

full

@WjColdWater -- If the camper was originally built for a 2020 Ford F150, you probably won't want to add anything in the truck bed before loading the camper.

The Ford F-150 trucks are usually built with a 2" deeper camper base, to fit the 2" deeper bed that the Ford F-150's have.

The clearance over the cab will be just fine.

If you add a spacer or a rubber bed mat ahead of time, you will probably end up with a bigger gap over the beds rails, and it might not look all the great.

Hope this helps.

dustinbriq said:
For my Hawk on my '21 F350, I added a 3/4" stall mat on top of a 3/8" bed mat. I wanted to be sure it would clear the satellite antennas and it was looking really close without the 3/4" stall mat. Even with the stall mat, I can't get my arm between the cabover and the roof to dry it after washing the truck.
Thanks for the response! My Grandby is a 2019 model year and the 2023 F-250 is a new design over previous F-250 year classes. Question for you does the cabover interfere with the satellite antennas? And how much bed to cab flex occurs on uneven terrain? I won’t be off road with the combo but, that’s another concern.

Stan@FourWheel said:
@WjColdWater -- If the camper was originally built for a 2020 Ford F150, you probably won't want to add anything in the truck bed before loading the camper.

The Ford F-150 trucks are usually built with a 2" deeper camper base, to fit the 2" deeper bed that the Ford F-150's have.

The clearance over the cab will be just fine.

If you add a spacer or a rubber bed mat ahead of time, you will probably end up with a bigger gap over the beds rails, and it might not look all the great.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Stan! This is a 2019 Grandby. Im confident that my measurements are pretty close and with no extra shims the bed rail clearance will be +- 1” with 2-1/4” on the cab and 1” over the two antennas on the rear roof. With body roll on off road stuff could be an issue. Plus loading and unloading the camper with the rear bed higher than the front of the bed that’s another worry. I will have to be slow and level so t don’t make contact with the roof. I think I will add the stall mat for the extra 3/4” for piece of mind. I can always ditch the mat if I think it is overkill. I just don’t want to make contact with the truck roof during loading unloading operations. I will definitely post my results with pics within the next two weeks.

WjColdWater said:
Thanks for the response! My Grandby is a 2019 model year and the 2023 F-250 is a new design over previous F-250 year classes. Question for you does the cabover interfere with the satellite antennas? And how much bed to cab flex occurs on uneven terrain? I won’t be off road with the combo but, that’s another concern.
The cabover does interfere with the satellite radio antenna, however, gps seems to work fine. That being said, I normally connect my phone for maps and music. As far as cab/bed flex goes, this truck seems to have significantly less flex than my 06 F250. I don't rock crawl my truck, but have been down some very rutted and off camber roads and the tight clearance between the camper and cab hasn't been an issue.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom