California Wildland Fire Smoke Information

Thanks Ski, along with the other one on fire locations you posted are a good source of information.

Thanks Ski.Boy the Carr fire sure is putting out
the smoke.
On Friday we had some smoke from that fire and the 2 in Mendocino.
Started early morning then the wind came up and cleared it out.
Are you getting any smoke?

Frank

Great website - thanks!! Was watching the plume from the Donnell fire late yesterday afternoon from Highland Lakes and had no idea where the fire was other than it was due south and pretty close. Several people drove out by 7:00 as no one knew what was going on. Maybe this would have been a good time to have an InReach and contact someone who could have checked this website out for info!!

Ronin said:
Great website - thanks!! Was watching the plume from the Donnell fire late yesterday afternoon from Highland Lakes and had no idea where the fire was other than it was due south and pretty close. Several people drove out by 7:00 as no one knew what was going on. Maybe this would have been a good time to have an InReach and contact someone who could have checked this website out for info!!
Very good idea. If you have a friend with one, file travel plans with each other. The person with internet service can monitor news, inciweb, etc. and preemtively send a message warning you. With their knowing exactly where you are, they could also advise escape routes.

Paul

Thanks for the link. Wife and I returned to SoCal from horsepacking trip in NE Oregon last week. We encountered smoke (and flames!) from the Columbia River south to Madras area, and then from Southern Oregon to the Grapevine on I-5. I keep an N95 mask in the truck since last year’s Thomas Fire here in Ventura County and we used it while driving from Redding on south of Red Bluff. It’s easy to stash a couple of them in a console/glove box and very handy.

Of note: we had planned to take Hwy 395 south to Reno due to the Carr Fire but a hotel in Redding reported that the smoke “wasn’t too bad.” I wish I had listened to that little voice telling me to take the alternate route.

Its been hazy for a couple weeks. Today was the first time it really smelled like smoke.

Back
Top Bottom