Camper Insurance

We belong to the " Good Sam Club" since 1985. They offer group rates on RV's, campers, auto's. Full coverage on the Eagle with $500 deductible, $250-500 liability about $150 per year. I told them it was mounted full time.

We have our camper covered for the purchase price through Progressive, $100/yr.

When I bought my FWC called state farm (my truck ins) and camper is not covered as part of my truck insurance (not sure about other ins companies). You will need to set up a policy, was very easy, and not expensive...did it with SF. You do not need to insure it...but better safe than sorry.

My agent told me I did not need to let them know, I actually had to specifically ask if they could insure it. Had to send pictures and proof of purchase/receipt...FWC website was helpful to them as well... Easy to describe a FWC when on truck and in person, but over the phone hard to explain what it is.

My State Farm policy covers the camper as long as it is on the truck since it is considered a load. I didn't believe it till they showed me the reply email from the under writer, which I have a copy of. This might vary from state to state so best to ck locally.

KILR0Y said:
USAA is what I have, and they cover a canopy, camper, our anything the truck hauls in the bed. I was skeptical so asked them to show me in the policy where it says that, and they did! It's right there, so the bank who helped me finance part of the cost of the camper made a copy of the policy. That's all they required...

My advice - always tell them your hauling it, and get coverage for replacement in writing!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Wander The West mobile app
x2 on USAA coversage and it's provided at no additional cost.

I went through this recently with Erie Insurance. In my case, I was asked to provide a serial number and approximate value. The camper is considered an accessory to the truck (I'm told) and there was no additional cost for it.

After reading this thread I have my agent getting more specifics from the underwriter (thanks!)

(Erie is a provider in 11 eastern states)

Michaelcanv said:
When I bought my FWC called state farm (my truck ins) and camper is not covered as part of my truck insurance (not sure about other ins companies). You will need to set up a policy, was very easy, and not expensive...did it with SF. You do not need to insure it...but better safe than sorry.

My agent told me I did not need to let them know, I actually had to specifically ask if they could insure it. Had to send pictures and proof of purchase/receipt...FWC website was helpful to them as well... Easy to describe a FWC when on truck and in person, but over the phone hard to explain what it is.
State farm told me the opposite. It is covered. I am in california and my agent confirmed it with them twice (in writing).

My loan and insurance are through USAA. The camper is covered with my truck at no added cost and is covered on or off the truck. jd

Here's a previous thread on insurance for camper.

Thanksgiving 1999 I rolled my 1999 F250 with a 1999 Phoenix camper on it. Both were only a few months old and both were totaled.
State Farm bought me a new truck but "sorry -- not covered" for the camper.
(Though I regret the financial loss I don't regret the loss of the Phoenix itself -- it was a bad experience from the day I bought it. :cautious: But that was 15 years ago...)

When I got my current camper I made sure that the camper was covered (still with State Farm)...but I don't remember/know if I'm paying extra for it or not. Yes, I should know... :rolleyes:

I know that the Mexican insurance I got for my Baja trip required an additional premium for coverage of damage to the camper.

I have auto insurance with Progressive. I called them and told them about my camper and they added it to the policy for about $100/6mos. It was based on the value of the camper. Pretty easy and now I have piece of mind.

It's roughly $150 a year for State Farm coverage on our 2011 Grandby shell here in So. AZ. When we first asked SF about it in 2011, the rep in the local office looked at our rig and said if the Grandby was mounted on the truck full-time we wouldn't need additional coverage beyond that of the truck itself. After some time passed I became uncomfortable with that interpretation since I couldn't find anything in writing to back it up. So I contacted the local SF agent and asked for her to send us documentation regarding coverage for our camper, and a few days later received a bill noting the line-item addition of the camper and a new charge associated with that coverage. My lesson: if something seems to good to be true, it's probably worth the time to verify it, and get it in writing. In the end, I now have it in writing, it costs some $$, and it seems the initial guidance we received from SF was in error.

Concerning USAA, I just talked to them, as noted the camper is insured on or off the truck at no additional cost. One caveat, you must call USAA and have it noted/added to the policy.

Not all loan officers or insurance agents always understand what a truck camper, or a pop-up truck camper are. Some of them get easily confused and either think it is some sort of pull behind tent trailer or a simple fiberglass camper shell. I have talked to a few customers over the years that thought (or assumed) that their camper was automatically covered under the insurance policy but found out the hard way when it wasn't covered at the time of an accident. If you had a used beat up camper worth a couple thousand dollars, maybe not such a big deal. But if you have a newer truck camper valued around $20,000, I don't know why the insurance company would cover the camper on your policy for free? I have always added my truck campers to my AAA Auto policy. This couple went to Baja around 2008 with a really nice truck & relatively new FWC at the time. They got Mexican Insurance on the truck, but not the camper. That was probably a $15,000 lesson for them to learn the hard way not having coverage on the camper. Just food for thought.

Attachments

• popped popup.jpg
    popped popup.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 245
As I said above, I made a point of getting my current camper covered by State Farm...but as I recall the local agent seemed a little confused by my request -- as if it wasn't a common thing or not one they had experience doing. Makes me think I should check again to see just what the status of my camper coverage is.

On the other hand, when I got insurance for my trip to Baja, using Discover Baja as the agent for the Mexican insurance, their online purchase options explicitly listed "cabover campers and camper shells" (as well as towed boats and towed trailers) as among the insurable add-ons (for additional premium) in addition to the primary vehicle. So it was very clear what the policy covered.

Stan@FourWheel said:
Not all loan officers or insurance agents always understand what a truck camper, or a pop-up truck camper are. Some of them get easily confused and either think it is some sort of pull behind tent trailer or a simple fiberglass camper shell. I have talked to a few customers over the years that thought (or assumed) that their camper was automatically covered under the insurance policy but found out the hard way when it wasn't covered at the time of an accident. If you had a used beat up camper worth a couple thousand dollars, maybe not such a big deal. But if you have a newer truck camper valued around $20,000, I don't know why the insurance company would cover the camper on your policy for free? I have always added my truck campers to my AAA Auto policy. This couple went to Baja around 2008 with a really nice truck & relatively new FWC at the time. They got Mexican Insurance on the truck, but not the camper. That was probably a $15,000 lesson for them to learn the hard way not having coverage on the camper. Just food for thought.
Thanks for that Stan, I'm definitely gonna get my camper insured!

Back
Top Bottom